SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to the local SM practice night with absolutely no intention of going on the track. But apparently I am weak willed cause within 30-40 minutes I was gearing up to take my brand new SM bike on the track.

I used exclusively roadrace technique ...... cause thats all I know after 22 years of riding supersport bikes.

I didn't fall down .... which was nice as my bike only has 250 kms on it. And I wasn't the slowest guy on the track by a long way which was also encouraging. However compared to the guys with lots of dirtbike experience, I SUCKED!

I think SM is a mixture of both roadrace and dirt technique but biased much more towards dirt technique because lets face it, these are dirtbikes at their core. The foot out thing is something I am going to have to learn.

One thing I did notice, watching the fast guys, is how the shift their weight way forward on braking and entering a corner and as well how much they shift gears. It all seems a lot more stop-and-go than I am used to from roadracing.

Oh well, it was a good time and I came home with body and bike intact so it was a successfull evening. I am just dreading when they get the dirt portion of the track installed. I have never ridden on dirt before. :eek:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sweet, I am going to the track july 5th. Can't wait. I have never been on an sm track before and only a couple of times on mx. Hopefully my day will be as successful as yours. Later, Jared:thumbup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like you rep'd the SXV pretty darn well!!

I see the same things with guys on our track. They seem to be shifting alot more than me. I only use 3 gears the entire track (1 - 3). I chalk it up to having, probably, a much higher red line.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts