SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Note: The following is copied and pasted from my local forum I post on since I am too lazy to write everything again.

Two weeks ago (17 October) I had my first day of racing at Ikei island. All I can say is...What a blast!!
My first race was a 5 lap race with 3 other riders. I started in 4th, got a decent start and entered the first corner in 2nd. I was passed on the next lap. On the 4th lap I made a great double pass around the outside in corner 2 putting me into first. Bummer was in corner 5 I screwed up my drive out and ended up being passed on corner exit. After 5 laps I finished 2nd.

The next race is where the lessons learned comes in. This was to be a 15 lap race. I started in 2nd based on the finish in race 1. The start was OK. I was pushed a little to the inside and ran off the curbing slightly. I ended up in 3rd after the first corner. The 2nd lap is where it all fell apart. When attempting to pass for 2nd, I cam together with the other rider and was thrown from my bike. I will discuss the damage to my body later.

A little about the guy who I crashed with. He was a very frustrating rider to race with. He carried no corner speed so everyone always bogged up behind him, but his bike was set up to accelerate very quickly out of the corners. This made him very difficult to pass, but once around him I was much faster and pulled out a gap, as was the case in race 1. I feel like when he rode he had no situational awareness as to who was around him. He just picked his line and rode it, no matter who was coming up faster to fill that line.

About the crash incident. Because I knew the line he rode in turn 2 (very tight, very slow) I took the outside line, carrying more speed and tried to get a better drive into the next corner. As I was accelerating into the corner, he cut across the track right into my line that I was already committed to. As I started to lean in, he didn't let up and started to push into me. I knew we were going to touch at this point but it was already to let. I let off slightly, but he continued to push into me. I ended up going up onto the curb and almost off track. At that point my front tire hit his read, throwing me off balance. My left leg came of the pegs and hit the ground (this is where the damage to my leg happened). The force of our tires hitting caused me to somewhat highside and I was thrown off the bike.

Lessons Learned: Upon immediate reflection I blamed myself for this. I thought I was being too aggressive trying to block him into the corner. My reason for trying to force the pass was that I knew I was much faster than he from the previous races' experience. The leader was starting to get away and I didn't want too big of a gap to form. However, upon watching the video below in slow motion, frame by frame, I feel I was in the right. I had the line and he came into me, almost pushing me off track into the grass. As further example to this guys lack of situational awareness, after the crass my bike was stuck to his, yet he continued to try on ride, not even realizing it.

I would also like to thank Ben and his wife for all of there help. They recorded the race for me (allowing for my analysis), drove my car home for me (I went to the hospital in an ambulance, and my girlfriend can't drive a manual), helped load all my stuff into my car, and visited me in the hospital. I would also like to give major props to the local racers. The corner workers quickly help get me off track. the race organizer was right there the whole time helping out. One guy drove his flatbed down to the corner where every help load me up and bring me up to the parking area. Another guy, while helping remove my leathers, inadvertently ended up with a face full of my crotch. So major props to them as well.

Sorry for being so long winded. Below is the link to the youtube video. Let me know what you think.

Ikei Circuit Crash <---Link to Video

I will post some photos of everything shortly.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
watched the vid. you should have backed out of it he had the line and was in front of you. he was set up for a good drive you were essentially making a block pass from behind.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Heal up! Get back on the track, kick his ass! :thumbup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree. You didnt have the line and you were trying to force something that wasnt there. As you learn more you will learn to be smoother and pass without incident. Other than that it looked like a great place to race.

Frank

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
watched the vid. you should have backed out of it he had the line and was in front of you. he was set up for a good drive you were essentially making a block pass from behind.
Yeah, this is true. I guess neither one of us wanted to yield. Maybe I watch to much MotoGP and think "If Rossi can do it, then I can too." :bs:
I definitely learned a lot from this incident and can't wait to get back out there. :arsenal

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures of damage

Below are some pics of the damage.

Complete plateau fracture of the tibia, fracture of the fibula, damage to the outside of the knee joint, damage to meniscus, and torn mcl. :bannana:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I initially had an external fixator out on for a week to immobilize and allow the swelling to go down before they did the surgery to fix everything

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The surgery to repair everything was done about a week ago. Ended up with some nice hardware. Now I'm a true racer...right? :thumbup:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ouch, the wreck didn't look that bad, but the xrays say different.

You definitely were trying to force something that wasn't there. Oh well hard lesson learned...

·
Registered
30 Posts
You were doing great in the race. What I would do is show a wheel on the outside and make it seem like I'm going to try and pass there, then the next lap around watch his lines....I bet he goes a bit wider, if not make sure your right there again so he can see you. This will make him think that maybe he has to go a little wider just to make sure you don't get around him. Then when he does go wide you cut to the inside and take control of the line. You had 15 laps, take your time. Heal up and go at it again.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ouch, the wreck didn't look that bad, but the xrays say different.

You definitely were trying to force something that wasn't there. Oh well hard lesson learned...
The wreck itself wasn't that bad. The original video was recorded with an HD video camera and when watching frame by frame my left foot actually comes off the peg before I fall. I stuck it out to try to balance as our tires touched. The bike was already leaning left and it caused my leg to jam underneath and then pop backwards, as I still had some forward momentum. That is when I broke it. After that I start the pseudo highside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
making the pass

For sure passing someone like that can be frustrating. If you have a little gap to the guy behind you (which you did) there is a simple way to pass this kind of rider. It takes a bit of planning and practice but done right it will work every time.
You are getting caught behind him mid-corner which kills your drive. Corner after corner this happens and the frustration mounts.
Do this:
Back off a bit to create a little more gap between you and him. I know that sounds counter-intuative but now when you enter the corner you can carry all the speed you normally do in the corner by yourself. You need to have the perfect distance at the beginning of the corner so as you exit you don't run into the back of him and have to let off (killing your drive). As you stand it up out of the corner you are coming up on him (or her) fast so pick a side to pass on the straight (preferrable the side that will be the inside of the next corner).
Now you are side-by-side going into the next corner. You simply brake when he does and keep him on the outside until you are in the corner. Since he is slow in corners anyways he will simply fall in behind you.

The most common mistake you will make with this kind of pass is not having a big enough gap and having to chop the throttle at the exit to avoid hitting the other rider or too much gap and not getting side-by-side on the straight. It may take a few tries to get it right but once you do you will pass very clean and easy and rarely have to force anything.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Looking at the Video he had the line. That is a fairly tight section due to the fact that I been there done that. I was stationed in Ishikawa, Okinawa at Courtney in 1996 and ran a YSR there at Ikei, crashed at the same turn although by myself:anim_peep: ran in too hot and couldn't get her to turn. Heal up and get back out there. Like one of the guys said show a wheel here and there so you can see what he does then be patient and exploit his weak sections. Again heal up and get back out there and give him a run for his money next time.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Heal up! that was a horrible place to try a outside pass but you live and learn. I mean you knew he would be headed toward that apex.

I have done nearly the same thing though tried a inside pass on a guy that used the whole track in every corner. We met at the apex I woke up in the flash van. In truth I saw it coming and even went so far to the inside my wheels were in the grass when he touched. He gave me no room and then told me later, "I knew you were coming up on me and were faster" Crap happens. Heal up and race again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
On a side note I also race in japan against j riders. They are brutal up here at my local circuit and I have found that you must be very aggressive to get a pass in and often must shove an outside block pass in to make any head way. I do 250cc 6 and 3 hour endurance races with almost 30 riders on a under 1km track so there is no space! Sometimes you have to take it where you can get it. I like passing these types I pull a r/l combo... Drive wide on the first corder to set yourself on the inside of the follow on corner then sweep wide to push them to the outside into the strip and pull the trigger. It is dirty but the only friends you have on a race track are in the pits.

Btw are you on gaijinriders.com

You should check it out. Nothing but forgein bike riders and racers.

Phil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts