SuperMoto Junkie banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
Heat 2- 1st corner

Guy decides to use another rider instead of using his brakes =D
Been there, done that, got the surgery and lost wages to prove it.
Almost identical, except the rider that “forgot how to ride” was female.

See my previous advice about “not being able to win the race at the first corner, but you can lose it!”

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Been there, done that, got the surgery and lost wages to prove it.
Almost identical, except the rider that “forgot how to ride” was female.

See my previous advice about “not being able to win the race at the first corner, but you can lose it!”
Ouch!!!

Funny thing is, the guy that caused the whole incident is Number 27 right in the front. And he got out without problems

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
The perpetrator ended up under my bike.
I would have written it off as a Racing incident, until I watched the televised coverage and saw she Whiskey Throttled straight through the first turn on the previous race. Just failed to connect with anyone that time.
A dangerous rider who has no business on a bike. Not much of a human being either - fires into me out of control, and never enquires as to the result of her actions. Despite being pitted near me, just packs up quickly and leaves while I’m in the medical center.

It wasn’t a bad crash, but I was unfortunate enough to suffer a detached tendon. Surgery and a long recovery. I raced the same event last year, and have a new bike for next year.

Never saw her coming.

https://vimeo.com/181431166

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I would have written it off as a Racing incident, until I watched the televised coverage and saw she Whiskey Throttled straight through the first turn on the previous race. Just failed to connect with anyone that time.
A dangerous rider who has no business on a bike. Not much of a human being either - fires into me out of control, and never enquires as to the result of her actions. Despite being pitted near me, just packs up quickly and leaves while I’m in the medical center.

It wasn’t a bad crash, but I was unfortunate enough to suffer a detached tendon. Surgery and a long recovery. I raced the same event last year, and have a new bike for next year.

Never saw her coming.

Holy Crap. There was not even enough time to actually build up enough speed to use the excuse "I couldn't get my brakes".
That was a solid T Bone!

I had a similar experience (Not T Bone), but people just giving 0 f***ks. Was on my Track ZX 636R in Phakisa (Old Moto HP Circuit in South Africa), and a guy blew his engine and knew he did so. Instead of pulling off immidieately he tried to free as far around the track as possible on the racing line spilling oil. I ended up highsiding. When I came to, I saw he had packed up his bike in a trailer to hide it and took off. :/

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

Never saw her coming.

Damn, that's just bad etiquette. Mistakes happen, but if you hit someone you go check on how they're doing after.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Second Race is on the 10th of March.
Will hopefully go a bit better, track flows a bit more so should suite my style of riding.
Will keep you guys posted after each race

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
Holy Crap. There was not even enough time to actually build up enough speed to use the excuse "I couldn't get my brakes".
That was a solid T Bone!

I had a similar experience (Not T Bone), but people just giving 0 f***ks. Was on my Track ZX 636R in Phakisa (Old Moto HP Circuit in South Africa), and a guy blew his engine and knew he did so. Instead of pulling off immidieately he tried to free as far around the track as possible on the racing line spilling oil. I ended up highsiding. When I came to, I saw he had packed up his bike in a trailer to hide it and took off. :/
I forgot to point out: the first turn in the video was from tar to dirt, and demanded a little respect. Hence all but one slowing down.....

It’s an annual event. Held in the middle of Newcastle city. On the closed for the weekend public road, and park.
A great event, often racing with ex world champions.

This year should be even better, after the local council spent millions upgrading some of the roads for a big car race. We hopefully will get to use part of that “track”.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I forgot to point out: the first turn in the video was from tar to dirt, and demanded a little respect. Hence all but one slowing down.....

It’s an annual event. Held in the middle of Newcastle city. On the closed for the weekend public road, and park.
A great event, often racing with ex world champions.

This year should be even better, after the local council spent millions upgrading some of the roads for a big car race. We hopefully will get to use part of that “track”.
That sounds awesome! Those "sharp" curbs look a bit daunting though. Would not be fun to slide into them.

The roads in South Africa can already double as Tar and Gravel due to all the pot holes!! :p

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
That sounds awesome! Those "sharp" curbs look a bit daunting though. Would not be fun to slide into them.

The roads in South Africa can already double as Tar and Gravel due to all the pot holes!! :p
Yeah, it’s a bit different from most tracks. I guess most tracks aren’t in the city, using carparks, public streets with kerbs etc. There were even speed bumps on one straight!

I’m entered in my first (non motard) road race in a week. It’s the opposite end of the spectrum. Racing at the famous Phillip Island GP Circuit on my SS300 bike. At the WSBK round. (I’ve ridden the bike once before. Been practicing the track on Xbox - MotoGP17)

Should be an experience.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yeah, it’s a bit different from most tracks. I guess most tracks aren’t in the city, using carparks, public streets with kerbs etc. There were even speed bumps on one straight!

I’m entered in my first (non motard) road race in a week. It’s the opposite end of the spectrum. Racing at the famous Phillip Island GP Circuit on my SS300 bike. At the WSBK round. (I’ve ridden the bike once before. Been practicing the track on Xbox - MotoGP17)

Should be an experience.
That should be great fun!
Probably one of the most beautiful tracks in my opinion.
Turn 1 looks daunting though, carrying so much speed into there

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have raced my DRZ at the island. If your brave enough you can take turn one full throttle in fifth gear! Skypig what number are you, I will be there Sunday.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
Skypig ID

I’m running number 360
If I qualify for Sunday’s race, I’ll be easy to spot - I’ll send 41 bikes around to give you a heads up that I’ll be coming past anytime soon.

Even though I’ll be at the back, rest assured I’m having fun.

The previous owner was well supported. I’ve upgraded the sponsor decals.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I’m running number 360
If I qualify for Sunday’s race, I’ll be easy to spot - I’ll send 41 bikes around to give you a heads up that I’ll be coming past anytime soon.

Even though I’ll be at the back, rest assured I’m having fun.

The previous owner was well supported. I’ve upgraded the sponsor decals.
That looks like so much fun to ride!
Do keep us posted please

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
great write up -
Phillip Island is my favorite track to watch -
Good Luck -

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
@Skypig, how did it go?
There was some fast hard racing, and there was me. I think I had the most fun of anyone.
Picking an Australian title race, at a World Championship round for a road racing debut, was always optimistic.
We got extremely lucky with the weather. Some classes (Aussie Superbike for eg) were not so lucky.

It was slightly surreal and a great experience to watch the World Championship Superbike riders race, then actually go out on the track as the next race! Marco Melandri won both races, then later on Sunday night, donated his leathers for display in the local Italian restaurant where many of us were dining.

I only beat people who ran off, or fell off (pleanty)
I raced at Phillip Island.
I wore my left knee slider completely out.

I can’t stop smiling.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
There was some fast hard racing, and there was me. I think I had the most fun of anyone.
Picking an Australian title race, at a World Championship round for a road racing debut, was always optimistic.
We got extremely lucky with the weather. Some classes (Aussie Superbike for eg) were not so lucky.

It was slightly surreal and a great experience to watch the World Championship Superbike riders race, then actually go out on the track as the next race! Marco Melandri won both races, then later on Sunday night, donated his leathers for display in the local Italian restaurant where many of us were dining.

I can’t stop smiling.
That is absolutely amazing man!!!
I am so jealous!

I was not able to watch the SBK races due to family responsibilities... wanted to watch it today. But I guess I now know who won!! =D

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
That is absolutely amazing man!!!
I am so jealous!

I was not able to watch the SBK races due to family responsibilities... wanted to watch it today. But I guess I now know who won!! =D
Sorry for the spoiler :anim_peep:
Due tire wear, a pit stop was made compulsory for the WSBK class. Very unusual.

Getting a better position down the straight was good for 13km/h extra.
Sitting up for Doohan corner wasn’t what the fast boys and girls were doing!
Tire was toast.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts

I can’t stop smiling.
Priority #1 - stay on and finish. I learned that the hard way.......

I remember the first time I got my knee down - the scraping sound was much louder than I expected and it caught me off guard!

Your final comment is what its all about

When it goes well its very rewarding (even if you aren't in the running for silverware). I've also experienced the other end of the spectrum after a big toss where I got pretty beat up and wonder why I do it all - the fact that it passes quite quickly and I do it all again says something.

Two of my buddies from home were riding in the WSB - Jonathon Rea & Eugene Laverty. I'm thinking of going to one of the rounds this year, either Brno or Laguna Seca.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts