SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey dudes- well this is my first post, so figured I'd share my bike with you all. Now I know most people don't consider the XT660X a real supermoto, but for a guy who uses it every day of the year as only transport, it's an awesome compromise-and thanks to a little work, can give a thrill :lol:

Here she is:

Now to get the bike on the dyno and see about a custom map :)... oh and to get a decent camera :headshake

·
Registered
799 Posts
So jealous! We don't get those here! Dude... If we could have a newer big bore f.i. Jap street moto here that would be my bike but in black!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
So jealous! We don't get those here! Dude... If we could have a newer big bore f.i. Jap street moto here that would be my bike but in black!
+1. too bad supermoto is about as American as soccer (football to the civilized world)

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
+1. too bad supermoto is about as American as soccer (football to the civilized world)
Supermoto was started in the US with the ABC superbikers (courtesy of Gavin Trippe). :thumbup: It's American born, just happened to die down for a few years, but now it's making a strong comeback! The Europeans, especially the french, picked it up in full force.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermoto

Youtube playlist of Superbikers videos
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL274D90315BE27B9E

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys :)

I wasn't sure if it was the whole XT660 range the states didn't get or just the Tenere. Yeah they do look good in black :)

It's frustrating that the manufacturers don't allow an easy method of import for models not intended for a certain area-especially ones that could comply easily with emission laws.

Incidentally I really appreciate the history lesson pics on AMA sumo racing! Some cool pics, will have to check the you tube link.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It's American born, just happened to die down for a few years, but now it's making a strong comeback!
Supermoto might be an american idea, but it was forgotten long ago. 40 years ago...
we might look upon closed minded middle aged mid life crisis harley riders as ignorant. They were raised in the steve mcqueen days and saw that cruiser style bikes suited their fancy. Harleys/cruisers have always been the bees knees in that generation, now every johnny (and his domestic partner) sees the crotch rocket on the showroom floors/on the streets that he was raised to want in our "modern" day. Supermoto sales in the usa are dismal, and that is a fact. sure, it costs money to engineer a great bike, but when they see no money in manufacturing a new supermoto, they wont be doing it. and when they did, they made the mistake of not making crazier bikes. Sure the DRZ400, wr250x, crf230m etc etc etc are great reliable bikes, but they lack that X factor that the supersports have. And as we all know, the supermotos just listed are largely underpowered (the top speed isnt high enough) in comparison to the mass produced rocket bikes.

we have to understand that we can't change people's minds if they aren't open to new things. and if all the bros want to buy a specific kind of bike, we will be forced to have that % of the showroom floor covered in their bikes. The only way which i will see the usa getting more supermotos is if the US DOT or the majority of states only allow X-amount of HP from new riders. This will help them appreciate that less power can equal more fun, and be much better to ride on the streets, and that bikes like that XT660 are much more suitable for use than what they think is made for the street. And lets be real... ask most guys riding a sport bike how well their bike is set up for the street, and they will puff smoke up your A$$ about how it's so great. With their race tuck, rearsets, miniscule amounts of torque, 2" suspension travel, and 400# weight being out of the question. Anyways... the lack of appreciation for "smaller" bikes That's one way to explain why supermoto stuck around in Europe and not here... the fascination is still there.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Haha sorry for the thread jacking bro. I guess the lack of supermoto backing in the states is a sore subject.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, no probs, I'm happy to see a heated debate start, and it's interesting from my point of view living in england- The biking scene here is on a decline, especially amongst the young. We've some amazing roads, and the smaller capacity machines with low weight and good suspension travel are ideal, but the older generation with the cash and licenses are obsessed still in big CC and power figures.

So the manufacturers refuse to invest in creating modern rides with light weight,good power and small dimensions as they don't see them selling. I personally find the indian and sout east asian markets are going to be where we see some interesting new developments in this respect as most people are looking and can only afford small capacity.

oH and glad peeps like the XTX lol :lol:

·
Registered
799 Posts
I wasn't sure if it was the whole XT660 range the states didn't get or just the Tenere. Yeah they do look good in black :)

It's frustrating that the manufacturers don't allow an easy method of import for models not intended for a certain area-especially ones that could comply easily with emission laws.

Incidentally I really appreciate the history lesson pics on AMA sumo racing! Some cool pics, will have to check the you tube link.
The closest thing we have is the Baghira (Stole the older version carbed 660 yamaha motor) but even MZ was taken away from us. In fact... very rarely does anyone even know what this bike is, or the XT yamaha's for that matter.

sorry to preach.
It's just passion peeking out, no need to apologize. It's just like everything else in this country... the majority of people don't choose bikes because of fun factor, variability of use, or anything else but image and bravado. It sucks that the market is controlled by that but it is what it is. Sometimes it's nice b/c it feels like nobody will ever know the fun of whipping peoples ass on a <50hp bike, saving gas, popping wheelies, and being able to turn on a dirt road with no problems, not to mention only worrying about ONE cylinder. Riding to work and back has NEVER been this awesome.
Haha, no probs, I'm happy to see a heated debate start, and it's interesting from my point of view living in england- The biking scene here is on a decline, especially amongst the young. We've some amazing roads, and the smaller capacity machines with low weight and good suspension travel are ideal, but the older generation with the cash and licenses are obsessed still in big CC and power figures.

So the manufacturers refuse to invest in creating modern rides with light weight,good power and small dimensions as they don't see them selling. I personally find the indian and sout east asian markets are going to be where we see some interesting new developments in this respect as most people are looking and can only afford small capacity.

oH and glad peeps like the XTX lol :lol:
I love that bike.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just walked in on my DRZ rubbing one out to those pictures! BAD ASS:thumbup:

·
Registered
236 Posts
My dream bike is a dependable big bore Jap Sumo that will cruise 90mph, top 130mph, and weigh around 300lbs! I do the best I can with my dinosaur DR but it doesn't cut it.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
sorry to preach.
I see your point, and like others said, no need to preach. I wish this country wasn't sold on image.. It get's old, really fast.

My dream bike is a dependable big bore Jap Sumo that will cruise 90mph, top 130mph, and weigh around 300lbs! I do the best I can with my dinosaur DR but it doesn't cut it.
Why Japanese? Plenty of other reliable bikes out there from other countries. Husqvarna 610/630, and KTM 690 would be close to what you are asking of there. :thumbup: Think outside the Japanese box :lol:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Want Every Fruity Cheese Sniffer riding a SumO-

NoT Me

-

--

·
Registered
240 Posts
Want Every Fruity Cheese Sniffer riding a SumO-

NoT Me

-
--
I sure do. That way I could go out and buy a cheap old outdated version of something awesome and rock it. I don't give a crap what the world at large does but their wants and needs do tend to drive the market. Why wouldn't I want the larger market to fit my wants? I'm not doing this to stand out or be "special".

That xt6 is cool!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update-dyno chart :p

"Why Japanese? Plenty of other reliable bikes out there from other countries. Husqvarna 610/630, and KTM 690 would be close to what you are asking of there. Think outside the Japanese box "

I think till the european brands manage to make a SumO that has the servicing requirements of a japanese bike (like valve checks akin to the WR250X) that's why people will still turn to the jap bikes-always a compromise though, you get the performance with a european out the box, jap you need to fettle.

payne5757

Is that your DR in your profile pic? If so, very cool dude, and nice mod list to boot!

Critter

I just walked in on my DRZ rubbing one out to those pictures! BAD ASS

Haha, always knew my XTX was a dirty gal ;P

Oh yeah- here's the Dyno chart:-

·
Registered
929 Posts
Nice one! :thumbup:

I was trying to decide between an XT660X and something else when I changed bikes last time ... fueling issues with the XT and costing only $1,000 less than the Duke without the decent components is was pushed me towards the KTM.

... be nice to have the decent support of the Japanese factory though - any parts in a week usually! KTM - touch your toes! for six weeks :headscrat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@ Kamikuza: The fueling issue that's been so heavily critisised with the XTX is easily sorted, mine has completly gone all for about £350, the power commander and airfilter mods solve it-however I do agree with the KTM you get superior suspension. I'm going o work on that next on the XTX.

Well that and bark busters etc.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Sorry dude, I just realized that sounded like I was ragging on your baby :lol:

I'm in Japan ... getting stuff done is a problem - as can be getting stuff :( for the money that it would have cost me to mod up to the KTM specs, it would have cost more than the Duke :hmmm: followed the threads at XT660.com before I decided ...
Then my fuel pump went and I had fuelling issues with the Duke :lol: cest la vie!

Tell you what though - it was a long wait to get either a Duke or the XTX to turn up in the bike shops - months of N-O-T-H-I-N-G then I got 2 XT's and 2 Duke's all at once :eek: tough decision. I went for the under-belly exhaust which I've lusted after for years :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry dude, I just realized that sounded like I was ragging on your baby :lol:

I'm in Japan ... getting stuff done is a problem - as can be getting stuff :( for the money that it would have cost me to mod up to the KTM specs, it would have cost more than the Duke :hmmm: followed the threads at XT660.com before I decided ...
Then my fuel pump went and I had fuelling issues with the Duke :lol: cest la vie!

Tell you what though - it was a long wait to get either a Duke or the XTX to turn up in the bike shops - months of N-O-T-H-I-N-G then I got 2 XT's and 2 Duke's all at once :eek: tough decision. I went for the under-belly exhaust which I've lusted after for years :D

Not at all dude, I didn't feel you were ragging on the XTX, just wanted to throw my opinion into the mix :) the underslung exhaust on the duke is very sweet, do you have any pics? never realised it was so hard to find bikes in Japan, though I guess as both are over 400cc, demand is low maybe- I am jealous of you living in Japan, would love to ride some of the roads, and to have access to the range of 250's/400's you do.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts