SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First, I must say thanks to all the great posts and information I found here before making my purchase. Last Saturday, 6-14, I bought my first motorcycle- the WR250X. I got #82. I am starting to get more comfortable around town- canyon cruises are my favorite, but I'm still breaking her in...

Which leads me to my questions- should I limit the time or distance I ride for the first 600/1000 miles? I've heard various opinions. I've also taken out the spark arrester. Is this a bad idea during break-in? It just sounds so much better without it. Any other pointers or pointing me to any threads would be greatly appreciated. Happy riding!

Motar :bike:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Hey Motar congrats!!! I'm also not only a new member, but a new WR250X owner. I bought mine last Friday (yeah the 13th, but it was the best one I've ever had!).

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
ride the bike however you want. and go ahead and leave the spark arrestor out. the only thing i would do is try not to ride it at one constant rpm for any extended perioud of time the first 300 miles or so.

other than that, do whatever you want and enjoy it! i love mine!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ride the bike however you want. and go ahead and leave the spark arrestor out. the only thing i would do is try not to ride it at one constant rpm for any extended perioud of time the first 300 miles or so.

other than that, do whatever you want and enjoy it! i love mine!
Thanks for the reply, rowdy. I also got a chance to chat with a friend who has the DRZ and he said the same thing as you. In fact, he saw tests that showed an engine broken in to factory specs was in worse condition and made 7hp less than one that was driven hard from the beginning. I think this was on an R1.

Anyway, I've been taking it a little easy so far, but that's not to say I haven't opened it up and taken it through the gears a few times. Certainly not babying it. The bike is about to hit 300mi- it was delivered with 62. :headshake I have also had to get on a 60mph highway a couple times on my way up to the mountains where I try to roll on and off the throttle for the two miles or so. I feel like I shouldn't be revving that high this early, but people here are reporting 90+MPH speeds, so I guess there's quite a bit left up top. As of today, I am going to step it up a couple notches.

Have we figured out where the rev limiter cuts? I would guess 12-13k, if it's supposed to make peak power at 10k. I've also been thinking about fuel- the dealer says we can run regular, or 85oct, here in Colorado since we're at elevation so that's what I've used so far. Should I be running higher octane? We have 85, 87 and 91 here and I'm at anywhere from 5,000-10,000ft above sea level, although I haven't gone up that high yet...

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Congrats on the bike purchase!
If you post your location in CO, you may be able to find some riding buddies. There are quite a few people on here from that state.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About the octane question, I read a great article on wiki about octane ratings and the effects on engine performance. One interesting point was that octane has no direct effect on the speed of the burn, but is more a rating of how well it resists detonation.

Of course there are numbers and formulas to support the information, one of which involves elevation. The long and short of that are an engine at sea level that performs best with 93 will perform best with 91 at 1,000 feet above. By that math, the recommended 91 rating for the WR250 would be 81 at 5,000 feet. Whew, got that?

Okay, so the simple question is, how easy is it to hear/detect this 250cc engine knock? I know the sound in my car, but don't know what to listen for on a bike. I'm guessing I haven't had any knock issues thus far, as I haven't noticed anything running 85.

PS- I finally pegged the throttle today from 2nd-5th getting around some traffic. What an amazing machine! Up to 320 miles, time for new oil!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts