SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've been lurking here a while but just signed up. I have finally tidied up the garage and need a new project. I am thinking of building a mini supermoto bike to take to the go-kart tracks and maybe race in the rocky mountain minimoto races next year.

I have been looking for a kx65 as they seam the easiest to convert and you can race them in a few classes. in the midst of asking around about 2t minis I have come across a 96 cr80 that I can buy really cheap. The bike runs but not too good, I think it needs a top end put in. Besides that the bike seams decent but still needs a little love(fork seals, chain and sprockets, levers etc)

My question is would it be better to hold out for a kx65 or build the 80? I am 6'2" and 165lbs so I was thinking the cr would fit me better but it is definitely going to cost a little more.

The CR80 has 14" rear wheel and a 17" front wheel so Lacing up 12's is the best option but can I find a decent set of tires that will fit on the stock rims(17X1.4 and 14X1.6) so I can try a few track days before the end of the riding season hear in Colorado?

The kx65 will be much cheaper on the wheels but that is going to run me alot more for the bike.

I want to spend no more than $1000 to get out there.

I think I can get the cr80 for $300-$350.
(hopefully a piston and ring will fix it)

An older kx65 is going to run me 600-800 around here.

Any input is appreciated.

Anything I should look for on the cr80 as far as problem areas?

P.S. I am a decent MX rider that races a crf450 in the +30B class

·
Registered
23 Posts
Haha! I'm in the same boat, down in CO Springs looking to buy an 85 or 100 2T and lace up some 12" wheels.

For 17/14 rubber I'd read you can possibly get some alright rubber looking at scooter tires as they have many different road sizes.

Anyone know general rule of thumb cost for lacing up 12" wheels to stock hubs?

-Chad

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The $200 includes new rims and spokes but no tires.
RADMFG has about the best rims and spokes for ANY mini road race build!

This is not a sport that is super inexpensive, cost effective YES!

The best tires for 12" road race available in the USA as has been spewed about here for years are: #1 Bridgestone BT601SS, #2 Dunlop TT92GP, #3 Michelin Pilot SC.... Any of the super fancy 12" race tires come from Canada or Europe, expect to pay huge dollars!

Stickboyracing has the BT601SS

The other 2 tires are easy internet purchases....

KX65 can rip if you have the talent or desire to flog it.

CR80 much more comfy and suspension rocks when rebuilt & tuned:thumbup: Bonus that you can minigp with 12", 17", flat track, and even ice race!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I picked up the 80, Spent a few hours cleaning it and ripped up and down the street once.
I came up with a list of parts, it needs all your 15 year old dirt bike items, chain sprockets, plastic kit, brake pads, throttle cable,fork seals,etc.etc.
I will tear the topend off this week and order up a piston and ring for it.
Will the bbr heavy duty springs work well for this? They seam to be the most readily available. I was hoping to get all 3 springs, the front seals and add some 20wt or 30wt oil for now to avoid the big suspension shop bills( I can do this work myself and my suspension guy can switch the spring out for me at the next moto race). Will this setup work pretty good until I can work up into some good speed?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would gear it a little long. IMI and SBR (Formally CRE) are high speed tracks on minis so longer gearing works well. Bandimere is the only shorter track that requires realll short gearing.

I have a 65 and probably should have gotten an 80. The 65 frame is starting to feel too small and while I can keep up with the 80's and 100's no problem, I can't pass them. Such is life.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after much more research it looks like the wheels are going to be way more than I thought.
I am going to do all the other repairs and get the bike running right with the stock wheels with some IRC nr77 scooter tires just to get my feet wet, Over the winter I will save up to have the 12" wheels built.

·
Registered
95 Posts
about the only plac to get 12' wheels now is http://www.radmfg.com/

they have spokes too but you can also get spokes from http://www.buchananspokes.net/

12's for my klx with a kx65 front end werent bad....120 for the hoop and 75 for the spokes each, what costs is getting them laced so if you aint got a buddy that can help you out best be it to learn how to lace them yourself

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dude. Don't build full on wheels. You just need a spare rear rim, and lace it to your front hub. Then you can fit the dunlop TT-92's or any other 12 inch race tires on there.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3148304777.html

Get that spare rim, go to woody's wheel works and have them lace it up to the front hub for $30 and get tires. Super cheap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dude. Don't build full on wheels. You just need a spare rear rim, and lace it to your front hub. Then you can fit the dunlop TT-92's or any other 12 inch race tires on there.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3148304777.html

Get that spare rim, go to woody's wheel works and have them lace it up to the front hub for $30 and get tires. Super cheap.
Well I have a CR80 so I have a 14" rear wheel, I dont think that will work

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would just pick up some cheap 12 inch hoops and lace them to your stock hubs. Figure 100 per hoop +spokes +lacing.
Thats the plan. I just got done putting a new top end in and got all my suspension parts and a bunch of other parts this thing needed. The suspension work will keep me busy for a while until I can afford the wheels.(going to be about $350 in parts with spokes and rims) 12x2.5 rims are not cheap!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Why not keep stock wheels and run bt45 Bridgestones?

Maybe next season you can get 17s and run 125 GP bike slicks.
How many spokes are the hubs on the Honda?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lacing ktm 12" rims onto cr80 hubs

Does anyone know if you can lace a ktm 65sx rim onto a cr80 hub? I understand it will not be ideal but I can get the rims for cheap, and then just have them laced up. They are both 32 hole and buddy gave me one rim for free already. I can probably get another for next to nothing at the next moto race if I ask around. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some pics of my bike so-far

Here it sits after a couple months work

I sandblasted and painted the frame, new brake pads, fork seals, chain guide,chain glide, plastics, seat cover. BBR springs. etc etc etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wheel truing stand(homemade)

Here is the wheel truing stand I made and my new RAD wheels( I am not very pleased with the finish on these)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts