SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
many of my close friends know i blow through bikes like nobody knows. just this year i have had three. ive had buells, hondas, and kawasakis. inline 4's and vtwins. I had been looking at drz for over a year, but kept brushing them to the side thinking i would not like it because everyone said they were underpowered. all i know is, i rode 70 miles on my drz yesterday and had more fun on that going the speed limit (on one wheel) then i had on any of my other bikes going double the speed limit.

All the reviews say that the drz is a hog and whatever, but i think its all in the rider. If you like to ride and like to see progression get the drz. i think it is funner to ride a slow bike fast and skilled then a fast bike slow and sloppy. This isnt just a rant, but it is for people on the fence about what to get. the drz is an all around great bike for slow wheelies, commuting and highway use (had no problem putting my way home at 85mph-indicated)

Every review i have seen, journalized review that is. all the the drz is great starter bike, i have over 20k street miles under my belt and 5k parking lot miles (haha!). and the drz is the funnest thing i have ridden yet. i dont know how long i will be able to keep my license with this bike though.

anyways, everyone has different views, i am just making this thread to help out any one who is on the fence, like i was.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Man I agree with you a 100% I have an 07 gixxer 750 that I ride on the street and do track days on but the drz is definitely more FUN! I definitely notice the power difference but for a 400cc its a monster. And like you said its the rider because most people I ride with cant keep up and they are on inline 4 600's! And with this bike it is very difficult to keep the hooligan in me from coming out :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Welcome to the club dude. I love my DRZ! You and I rode together west of Topeka both burning the roads up(you had a 636 at the time I think).. don't know if you remember? Anyways always nice to have another local to ride these type bikes with

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the club dude. I love my DRZ! You and I rode together west of Topeka both burning the roads up(you had a 636 at the time I think).. don't know if you remember? Anyways always nice to have another local to ride these type bikes with
i do remember. ill be hitting you up next season for sure

topeka kansas?
yes. i am personally out of lawrence

I am in complete agreement with you and I would love some more pictures of the chick in your avatar :anim_peep:
haha everyone says that!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Fully agree. I love seeing my friends on their duc748, sv650, gxr 600 looking in their mirrors and seeing them going for more throttle because as my friend put it, "there is no way a freaking podunk drz400sm is gaining on me!!!"(said over chatterbox) I personally love seeing them turn green with envy as I tell them to wait for me here as I go hit a stair case or a dirt section, or on the rare occasion a golf course. I never rode anything before the drz on the street and I am glad I picked this as my first bike. Its my otg bike. oil tires and gas. my friends as mentioned before are always loosing seat time for maintenance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive been on the fence ever since I rode my buddy's DRZ. I can't remember having so much fun in the canyons. Its like OP said, its way more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. Ive had many street bikes and now have a dedicated track bike. Im so tempted to trade one of them with a guy on the WERA boards. Hes got a DRZ440 with a spare motor. I just cant seem to bite the bullet.

On a side question: How will the DRZsm perform as a dual sport? Can I just get some dir wheels and trail the thing? Is that a quick and easy swap? I know brake size is different; so the calpers have to be swapped?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ive been on the fence ever since I rode my buddy's DRZ. I can't remember having so much fun in the canyons. Its like OP said, its way more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. Ive had many street bikes and now have a dedicated track bike. Im so tempted to trade one of them with a guy on the WERA boards. Hes got a DRZ440 with a spare motor. I just cant seem to bite the bullet.

On a side question: How will the DRZsm perform as a dual sport? Can I just get some dir wheels and trail the thing? Is that a quick and easy swap? I know brake size is different; so the calpers have to be swapped?
Or just get a spare set of SM rotors or swap the ones you have when you change the wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts