SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Suzuki dealer next door to our shop bought out another shop selling Ducati's and Triumphs. They have the standard model and the "S." They are visually stunning. I was really taken aback when I first saw them in the flesh. After getting close and sitting on one I wasn't too hyped. For one I'm not a big fan of a lot of cosmetic plastic. There seemed to be a lot of it. The bike looks like what it is...a great styling exercise for a streetbike. The carbon fiber on the S was really thick and very poorly cut. I guess that's Italian workmanship for ya. A lot of people dog 'em, but my money would be on a Buell Super TT. It's the same concept, they're cheap to repair in the event of a crash, has much less in cost of ownership/maintenenace, and performance parts are dirt cheap as well in comparison. Looks? No doubt the Duc looks much more refined, where Buell carries over a lot more parts off other models.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy either as I'd like something cheaper, lighter, simpler, less expensive to insure, easier on tires, and that has some actual offroad ability.

·
Registered
42 Posts
you're not necessarily off the mark, but

they ride great and are a departure from standard superbikes. also,
the success of the hyper may actually help convince some of the
japanese manu's to bring their moto's to the good ole us of a.

i think they look great

and like the previous poster mentioned, you didn't ride it

·
Registered
193 Posts
you're not necessarily off the mark, but

they ride great and are a departure from standard superbikes. also,
the success of the hyper may actually help convince some of the
japanese manu's to bring their moto's to the good ole us of a.

i think they look great

and like the previous poster mentioned, you didn't ride it
Or the success of the Hyper will mean the Japanese will skip right over any real supermotos and start making naked street bikes with supermoto styling, like the Hyper that aren't supermotos at all. :rant:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have to ride it. Like the title says, I checked it out. I have no use for such a bike. I'm sure it'd be fun. Most bikes are. Most of these guys will hardly let you sit one one, let alone ride it. I don't wanna get paperwork started just to go for a ride on a bike I already don't like.

The Japanese are already starting to follow similar themes. What's this Versys? I think it's just the beginning.

·
Registered
183 Posts
For a twin cylinder, urban assault bike the Duc Hyper is were it is at. A fellow rider has one and that bike is sick - hell fast, super wheelie friendly, and he drifts, and backs it in all over. Only downfall is the limited range due to the small tank.

As far as the Buell Super TT, it is more of a fake SM then the Duc. I say this and I own a Buell Ulysses. The TT is a parts bin bike, combo of the Uly and the Lightning. I think the Uly is closer to a Street Tard then the TT is...i ride it the same as my DRZs-SM, it is just heavier and wider....the low end grunt it the shit for sure.

YouTube the Hyper and see what guys are doing with that bike!!! They are sick as hell.....IMO

·
Registered
442 Posts
Italian craftmanship for ya?? That beast is sick. That buell is butt fugging ugly. Looks like a honda ruckus on steroids or a botched abortion.. not sure which.. That motor is archaic compared to the duc's.

·
Registered
215 Posts
it's offensive to compare Ducatis to Harleys..I mean Buells.

No kidding. After one ride on an XB12 I'll never look at a Buell the same way again. Used to think they were neat and innovative. My test ride definitely changed my mind though. First time I've ridden ANY bike and downright hated it. Somehow I doubt the Ducati could possibly disappoint me as much.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it's offensive to compare Ducatis to Harleys..I mean Buells.
Not to me sucka.

Buells are great bikes...except for maybe the Blast, but even that has it's place. The major complaints are usually the shift effort and clutch lever effort...it does not reward a soft touch or the manicured hand.

I think the STT and Hypermotard are more similar than people would like to think. They're both based on streetbikes with a little more suspension travel, parts bin or not. The Buell has a motorcycle rally championship to it's credit against very stiff competition in France...that says more to me than a few youtube videos.

My wife loves Ducati, but I see bikes for what they offer, not what they look like or what they pay top professional riders to do for promotional purposes. They're great bikes, no doubt, but I don't really see what all the hype is about...and I have no use for another streetbike anyway so it's all pretty moot.

Italian craftmanship for ya?? That beast is sick.
... Unlike the hardley's you'ld be lost once tore open that motor....:D
That's just a ridiculous myth. I've worked on several types of motors and they all have their quirks and nuances but there isn't one motor that's easier than the other...except for how much crap you have to remove to get into it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I edited that out....I was just kiddin ya bout your skills!:) just dont like the buell and do like the HM thats all.
That's cool.

This I know as fact:
Buy Ducati - Everybody envies you
Buy Buell - Everybody hates you

I have an urge to buy another Buell just to spite all the haters and build a bad mofo out of it :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
That's cool.

This I know as fact:
Buy Ducati - Everybody envies you
Buy Buell - Everybody hates you

I have an urge to buy another Buell just to spite all the haters and build a bad mofo out of it :D
I know what you mean about haters on Buell...people hate without even riding one. And the Ducs have crazy maintenance to boot. But the Hyper will have a place in my stable waiting for it...lol.

Some Euros did up a Uly as a SM bike...its on BadWeb somewhere. They took the Lightning sub-frame and added it to the Uly....and other stuff...looks sick. Myself, I am stuck on the Uly, it is the do everything bike....go from 160KM/h around mountain highway curves (posted at 50km/h) then do 3 hours of logging roads then cruise to next stop about 8 hours away all in one day of our trip...it did it all flawlessly!!

I was saying the Uly is more SM then the STT ... that is with out riding one....it is the riding position that does it for me on the Uly, more dirtbike like.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Wow Rick I think you struck a nerve.

I think the hyper is bike we're going to have to agree to disagree on. Is it a true supermoto? No. Is it a true streetbike? No. It's a a hybrid bike, and it is what it is. I have no experience to judge it either way. But with every bike made there will be lovers and haters. Think about something like the goldwing. It has a high number of fans but its also hated by just as many people. IMO A/C and radios don't belong on a motorcycle... but if i were serious about cruising cross country with a passanger and ton of gear i'd consider it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That buell is butt fugging ugly. Looks like a honda ruckus on steroids or a botched abortion.. not sure which.. That motor is archaic compared to the duc's.
That's a misconception. The Buell motor is based largely on a 1986 design, the Ducati on a 1980. Technically the Buell motors are more modern. Granted both have evolved much since then, but the basic designs haven't. The Buell also makes more power. The Hypermotard only makes around 80rwhp and about 65 ft-lbs stock. The 1200 Buells make over 85rwhp and over 70 ft-lbs. Looks are a subjective thing. I've never had a problem with the looks of any Buell.

Is it a true supermoto? No. Is it a true streetbike? No. It's a a hybrid bike, and it is what it is.
It has the styling and ergonomics but mechanically I think it's more a hybrid of an adventure bike and a street bike.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
And the Ducs have crazy maintenance to boot.

crazy maintenance? :lol:
not really much different than any other street bike.
3k oil changes, 7.5k valve checks. the 2V motors are much easier to service, and do not suffer many of the issues seen in the 4V motors (pre testa heads).

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
but the ducati maintenance is harder for the average joe to do (at least from my experience with a monster 620) and so we'd bring it to the dealership and of course the belts had to be changed and the valves adjusted and pow.... $1200 later the bike was back good to go

·
Registered
183 Posts
but the ducati maintenance is harder for the average joe to do (at least from my experience with a monster 620) and so we'd bring it to the dealership and of course the belts had to be changed and the valves adjusted and pow.... $1200 later the bike was back good to go
Exactly!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Or the success of the Hyper will mean the Japanese will skip right over any real supermotos and start making naked street bikes with supermoto styling, like the Hyper that aren't supermotos at all. :rant:
EXACTLY!!!!:clap: every time something comes along that's good they start making it more powerful, more expensive, heavier, more fashionable and generally ruin the original appeal it had in the first place. i hope sumo's never become mainstream:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts