SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 690 SMC's & Dukes have a switch setup for swapping FI mapping, but my 690 SMR does not. I am curious to know how much grief is involved in putting a rig to do that on my bike would be. I have seen the FI map handswitches that some aftermarket dealers sell, but there must be more to it, and I believe those switches only work if the preloaded optional maps are already there. Has anyone rigged something like this up on an SM/R and if so how did it work? Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 690 SMC's & Dukes have a switch setup for swapping FI mapping, but my 690 SMR does not. I am curious to know how much grief is involved in putting a rig to do that on my bike would be. I have seen the FI map handswitches that some aftermarket dealers sell, but there must be more to it, and I believe those switches only work if the preloaded optional maps are already there. Has anyone rigged something like this up on an SM/R and if so how did it work? Thanks!
Are you aware that the SM & SMR have a higher HP rating compared to the SMC & 690 Duke?

This is my understanding of how the switch operates ...

SMC - one of the settings is for poor fuel, and the other settings are to adjust for the power delivery, hard vs soft. SMC has lowest HP power rating & shorter 16:42 gear ratio vs 16:40 on all others.

690 Duke - does not have a poor fuel setting but does have the hard & soft power settings. Duke has (slightly) lower HP rating but higher torque @ a lower rpm - probably due to muffler design.

SM/SMR - does not have power delivery switch, but does have highest HP rating. I'm guessing that the dual exhaust is a bit better for power and may be part of the reason that KTM engineers didn't feel the switch was necessary.

You may be reading too much into this by assuming that the switch is selecting different FI maps, it may be as simple as an iginition timing retard switch ( of course I'm just guessing). In any event the switch appears to offer different driveability options, not to increase power.

I'm not concerned by the missing switch on the SM & SMR as it appears that these models are in the highest state of tune! :) Just my .02 :bike:

http://www.ktm.co.uk/690-Supermoto-R.100197.19.html?&detailview=2&cHash=da62385a81

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may be correct. Reading the owners manuals for the others gave me the impression that they actually changed the FI mapping with the switch, but that may not really be the case. At any rate if I am correct then it would be nice to be able to swap maps with a switch because mine seems to run lean and heats up rather quickly. I went larger on my rear sprocket to take advantage of the bike's power, but stop and go traffic brings up the temp meter rather quickly. Also, changing exhausts will work better with a different map if I decide to go that route. If the bike can carry around 3 different maps that are user selectable by means of a switch I want that option.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with Z06jerry - KTM probably didn't feel it was necessary to put the switch on it because it is just a simply smoother ride all together.

The only FI mod I would suggest - its a power commander of sorts, unfortunately there isn't a well known manufacturer's product out for the SM(R) yet since the bikes are so new. Biohardcycles mentioned he had a friend in Greece that he was ordering a FI power box from - no news on how we it works.

If you live in the states - especially CA, the bikes will definitely be de-tuned, but the FI map shouldn't necessary be how its done ( though you are right, factory maps are usually quite lean ) and as Z06jerry mentioned, its probably more likely a retarded ignition prohibiting that last 3oz of performance, not the map.

·
Registered
75 Posts
From what I gather, the map selector just advances and retards the timing. I would guess the SMR is already running some seriously advanced timing, hence the higher HP... but you might be able to get more out of it, knowing what I know from tuning cars now and then, the manufacturers are generally pretty conservative when it comes to stuff like this.

Keep us informed if you decide to do anything on the SMR!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts