SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Last night I spent some time cleaning up the new bike and adjusting a few things.

One thing I did is to remove the fuel tank ventilation system that is located on the RH side of the bike just to get rid of some clutter. It uses an electically operated vacuum solenoid that allows it to operate at different times. It also twice made a huge farting noise when it was operating.

When I left the wire that operates this solenoid unplugged I got a flashing FI light.

What do I need to do (while still removing this solenoid) to make this light go out? Can I just permantly connect these two wires? Is that safe?

Here is a photo of the plug and the solenoid:

Thanks!

·
Registered
569 Posts
not sure if you can, since its a fuel injected machine, it probably is sensing something, where is the fuel pump on the machine? if the fuel pump is inside the tank, there will be a ton of vaccuum without something to release it

·
Registered
599 Posts
you can buy some GM style waterproof connectors and transfer the wiring over.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your confused.

The bike stock has a vent hose from the fuel cap that dumps into a catch can instead of on the ground. But on the way it has a little valve spliced into this line. This valve is 12V on/ off electrically operated and depending on the signal from the ECU it either opens up the vent hose or not. When the electrical current flows it throws a switch which is connected to a constant vacuum source (the intake between the throttle body and the head) This vacuum pressure is actually what opens the solenoid allowing the fuel vent hose to work. These switches are commonly used on old car AC systems and they all work the same.

I yank all that crap off, plug up the vacuum source so as not to have an air leak into the motor, and just vent the fuel tank to atmosphere like most bikes have been set up for decades.

The switch has some function. It is probably designed where if the bike is laying on it's side the fuel flow gets shut off out of the fuel tank overflow so as not to leak. Or maybe it's just connected to the key switch to prevent evaporation of fuel when the bike is parked?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can buy some GM style waterproof connectors and transfer the wiring over.
Please elaborate. Part # or something more specific please.

Are you saying it's just fine to connect the wires permanently?

·
Registered
569 Posts
thats what i was saying, but only by where the fuel pump is located, if it isn't in the tank, then there is a normal venting process, but that thing has to be sensing something or causing the light for a reason

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's causing a light because when it does a system check upon start up the solenoid is not plugged in so it sees an incomplete circuit.

It has nothing to do w/ a fuel pump of any kind.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Why do you need to take it off?? Is the 6 ounces or so going to make you go that much slower? Maybe it is vented like this for a reason......it uses VACUUM not a vent to outside atmosheric pressure, the tank is vented with vacuum. You also realize it is a federal offense to remove any emissions equipment? I certainly hopeyou just leave the thing alone and ride it with other mods already available.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip. Based on you enlightening me I'm going to leave the EPA mandated exhaust system on it, not change the air box lid which is also EPA mandated, not change the FI map which is EPA mandated, and not change the gearing or stock tire size as they are both mandated as well in the drive by noise test. I trust you to do the same? In fact, why even have a forum since they will all be left 100% stock from here on out?

I was planning on shaving .00001 sec off my lap time (to the grocery store) but I'm over it now! J/K

Seriously I tinker w/ this stuff because it's fun to me and I don't like clutter and heat on my bikes. But I definitely understand the futility of the exercise!

PS. You are incorrect about it using vacuum to evacuate the fuel tank. It's a shut off switch for when the bike is turned off and possibly for when it is on it's side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can place a resistor in place of the valve to remove the FI light error code. (I believe a 1Kohm will work)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I was thinking as well. Measure the resistance across the solenoid and then just replace the solenoid w/ a resistor of equal value.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Damn!! Lighten up will ya.... I was giving you some shit. And you said in a earlier post

"When the electrical current flows it throws a switch which is connected to a constant vacuum source (the intake between the throttle body and the head) This vacuum pressure is actually what opens the solenoid allowing the fuel vent hose to work"

You said it worked on vacuum I was just reiterating what you said.:eek:

I am looking at buying one myself and talked to the dealer today, bikes should be here maybe this afternoon or next tues. and HELL YEAH, I am gonna mod the shit outta it if I can swing the deal,

1st: AKRA exhaust
2nd Airbox mod
3rd ReMap the FI
4th ride the shit outta it!!!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I measured the resistance across the solenoid w/ a Multimeter and then I strung a resistor acoss the plug. No FI light!

Then after about 30 seconds of riding, the FI light came back on.

Currently I just have the solenoid plugged in and zip-tyed to the frame. I need to experiment w/ different resistors however.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Resistor:
1K ohm, 1/4 Watt resistor should be good up to 20.83 volts.
Lower resistance = higher wattage resistor required.
If connected temporally, make sure connection is good and cannot vibrate.

Plugging valve:
If no hoses are connected to valve, the valve won’t perform any function. Plug / tape the ports for piece of mind to keep dust out.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I want to remove the carbon canister because you can clearly see it.

can I just leave the solenoid plugged in and connect the two hoses together? will the solenoid open allowing venting from the gas cap? or will it start sucking fuel from the gas tank?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No need to connect the hoses. You can but it won't do anything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts