1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Omfg!!!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I've seen a LOT of drag racing crashes. never one as bad as this! Worse than Force's. They'll be looking real hard at run-off areas at drag strips all over the country after this. RIP Scott.....................

·
Registered
66 Posts
I read about this in the paper today. My thoughts and prayer to his family and friends.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I've seen a LOT of drag racing crashes. never one as bad as this! Worse than Force's. They'll be looking real hard at run-off areas at drag strips all over the country after this. RIP Scott.....................
I don't think more run-off room, a bigger sand trap or catch fence would have changed the outcome of this crash.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think more run-off room, a bigger sand trap or catch fence would have changed the outcome of this crash.
I agree, it looks like the chute never deployed and would've needed another mile to slow down at that speed without it. Tragic

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
A terrible tragedy.

RIP

Do they know what made the car explode into flames like that? Must have been a terrible thing to witness...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
A terrible tragedy.

RIP

Do they know what made the car explode into flames like that? Must have been a terrible thing to witness...
More than likely blower let go.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was there on Sun. for the finals and it was pretty somber. Team Force was very classy when Robert Height was supposed to run against scott in round one when they gave up lane choice to quietly idle down the track.
R.I.P Scott

·
Registered
52 Posts
i watched scott race since i was 5. it is truely a trajedy, the kaletta family you are in my prayers, i was watching speed channel and they said the car ran right into the concrete pole that was holding up the safety net

·
Registered
379 Posts
Scott, Doug and Connie Are Customers of Mine RIP Scott you will be Missed Dearly !! Maybe E town can extend the shutdown area a little hopefully and Were hoping NHRA starts shutting down the fuel cars at the 1000 foot mark. I was supposta work that race, Im Glad I didnt.

RIP Scott K. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I'm not sure shutting down the cars early is the key. In all the interviews with the other drivers, they all say that they know this type of situation is possible, but it's not what they think about as they get in the car. Extending the runoff areas would be a good idea, but not all facilities can do that. From what I've read, there's a public road not to far from the end of the track at E-town.

It's not that much different than any of us hitting the roads on our "li'l dirt bikes". YES, it's dangerous, but you put on your full gear, adjust your mirrors, pray for safety, hope for the best, and head out for some raw, unadulterated fun. Look at how many people here have been injured and continue to ride.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really sad about losing Scott. Just this past February, my dad and I chatted up Connie a bit in the pits in between rounds. He seemed like a really nice guy, and it hurts me to know of his loss.

·
Banned
669 Posts
Scott, Doug and Connie Are Customers of Mine RIP Scott you will be Missed Dearly !! Maybe E town can extend the shutdown area a little hopefully and Were hoping NHRA starts shutting down the fuel cars at the 1000 foot mark. I was supposta work that race, Im Glad I didnt.

RIP Scott K. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was gonna remain silent on this in here , but I can't. .. Shutting down at 1000ft? The engine let go at just about that mark, and look what happened!!!! I know how much more likely past the 1/8th mile mark that engine damage and ALL encompassing dangerous it gets, and ALL the reasons why. If they were to make it anything other than a 1/4 mile, they would try to "bring on the power" that much earlier like they do generally after half track. ( I.E... if they track was shortened to 1/8 mile... after the half track mark {1/16} they would try to lock up the clutch fully and start to make their speed then, on that measured "last half " of track. Essentially, no matter how "short you make the racing surface, they will adjust (with technology, gearing etc.) to eventually squeeze it out to be just about as fast as they are today. If you keep shortening the track, eventually you'll not have any... I know what 1/8th mile racers think, (I know, ....I get it) they still make incrediable speeds and E.T's and continue to go faster every day as technology changes by leaps and bounds EVERY YEAR. Engines blow at the stripe (1320 ft.) all the time. They are made to go just that far under power (obviously,.... but not necessarilly blow.). This was a freak accident. He was killed because he hit the concrete pole that held up the "catch fence" {think, tennis court net that has 1 pole on each side to hold up the net.}. The "sand trap" at that speed {which had never been done before} acted as a ramp and launched the car up to that height of the pole, and the car exploded when it hit the pole AND then the boom crane with the bucket at the end with a man in it for filming.. It had nothing to do with "shut down area". It had to to do with "POLE SAFETY". ....POLE SAFETY!!!.... It would take 3-5 miles (LOTS OF FACTORS) of shut down area (if the vehicle theorectically just went strtaight without any assistance like a sand trap or hitting the wall and scrubbing off speed, etc.) to stop a vehicle that was probably going 260 mph ish.) (remember.. he went thru the traps at 300 mph and wasn't under power {blown engine} for the remainder of the shut down area which is just about another 1/4 mile). There will be changes made but, they won't stop racing 1/4 mile. This sucks!!! Just about every rule there is, in every motorsport (or anything for that matter) is there because someone got hurt or killed. This was avoidable, but not because of shut down area or length of racing surface or speeds, or anything else, other than ploe safety and bucket truck placement.

R.I.P

1 - 19 of 19 Posts