SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating trading my Buell Ulysses off on a 690 SMC. Now before the anit-buell comments come know that my Ulysses has been a very good bike...no issues and I ride the shit out of it (it has been backed in a few times). I just have a wife that doesn't believe in a man having 4 bikes in the stable :rant: <-- that's her when I brought up the new bike idea.

The debate isn't power or wrenching schedule but long distance rides. My Uly took my all thru the NW USA last year, it is a pack horse when it comes to trips. Something is telling my that the SMC is not that great for the long hauls.

I really want a SMC...like retard bad, but I don't know if I can let the long distance qualities of the Ulysses go. What are you're thougts KTM peoples? Should I say f'k it and go SMC and take a bus next trip :hmmm:

·
Registered
569 Posts
ha, yeah the SMC sure isn't a touring bike, but its funny as they make mounts and aluminum cans for the rear of it, i think it could do it if the seat wasn't like riding on a board

·
Registered
239 Posts
Who wants a pack-horse when you can ride a race horse ? Just ship your stuff two days up from where you are. You'll be quivering so bad the days between you won't need anything but food and water (or whiskey to take the adrenaline into solution).

·
Registered
111 Posts
well what other bieks do you have you could get rid of? sounds like you kinda like the buell.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The SMC is not a touring bike by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well what other bieks do you have you could get rid of? sounds like you kinda like the buell.
I have a DRZ400s with about $3K into it, RM suspension waiting to go on once I find a better triple tree. But thatbke maight be the wife's and it is my trail bike for the cabin - pull the axles and toss the knobbies on. I also have a Pitster Pro X4SM but what is the point of ditching a mini 150 (nowhere near the cost for trade in)...haha..like she would fall for that.... :hmmm: She just may!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey gapp'r...

... I'm actually looking at selling my KTM Superduke and getting the new Buell XB12XT tour version of the Ulysses. My current work load has me commuting a bunch, and I have to carry so much equipment these days it's virtually impossible to fit in my back pack anymore. Since I bought the WR250X I hardly ever ride the KTM (which is a shame because it's a fantastic motorcycle), and I've always wanted a sport tour something or other.

I've had an XB9S and XB12R in the past and loved them, but I'm wondering how reliable you think the Uly will be over longer distances. Both my Buell's and my wifes Blast developed oil leaks and other small issues that worried me for a high mileage beast. Sorry about hi-jacking the thread but any help you could give me would be great!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
... I'm actually looking at selling my KTM Superduke and getting the new Buell XB12XT tour version of the Ulysses. My current work load has me commuting a bunch, and I have to carry so much equipment these days it's virtually impossible to fit in my back pack anymore. Since I bought the WR250X I hardly ever ride the KTM (which is a shame because it's a fantastic motorcycle), and I've always wanted a sport tour something or other.

I've had an XB9S and XB12R in the past and loved them, but I'm wondering how reliable you think the Uly will be over longer distances. Both my Buell's and my wifes Blast developed oil leaks and other small issues that worried me for a high mileage beast. Sorry about hi-jacking the thread but any help you could give me would be great!
Buy it!! Buell has really cleaned up their act. I want out just for pure adreniline, that's all. Wife says no way on 3 bikes. I test rode the XT and it is great. I flog my Uly HARD and not an issue has come up, even with 100lbs worth of gear on a 5000km trip. The dealers kind of suck as they are blockhead HD guys (usually) that either don't know or want to know about Buells. Go to Thumpertalk and go to the forum with Buells. PM me if you want to more of what I think. :thumbup:

Sorry KTM dudes, here's the KTMN thread back....lol

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uh, the 690 did Dakar and won...........
The dakar race isn't the same a throwing a crap load of gear on your bike and riding for 2 weeks. Yes they race for that long but they aren't carrying all their gear, that is where the support vehicles come in to the picture.

But thanks for the post anyway. That proves these things can take a beating....but then again how stock is a dakar bike to begin with :hmmm: The frame is tough I can say that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts