SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I Just got the Factory air filter kit that i ordered online, i forgot to check if it would fit my exc 530 and of course i does not. Its made for the smc :p

Anyways, i was wondering if anyone on here have modded this to fit? As you can see on the pic its not far away from fitting. Can i use some sort of extension on it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
sorry to be the bringer of bad news but an SMR/SX-F filter kit will not work on an EXC-R.

buddy got the same kit, I tried to make it work but it just didn't fit. the inlet and rubber boot are no where near in line with eachother and you simply don't have enough room to cram any kind of tubing in between. the carb inlet on an EXC is also a bit smaller because the carb itself is a 39 mm keihin FCR, not a 41 like on the SMR and SX-F bikes. forcing it on there won't work either because the rubber will just slip off again.

only way you can use a K&N filter on an EXC is to mod the stock rubber boot. run a piece of pipe to the filter box through the modded boot and put a K&N cone filter on the end of the pipe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok. Today i started working on the mod for the k&n airfilter. The whole idea of getting the k&n filter was easyer maintenance of aifilter, but this seems to work oposit of its purpose. In order to get the k&n filter in i need to remove the battery, place the filter, then mount the battery again :p I think i will make some quick release solution for the battery by using thumbscrews or something.
Now i need to wait untilo tomorrow to let the grout dry and check if it is airtight. Im guessing i will need to add some grout tomorrow. But i think it will work great when im done.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
make sure your silicone seal is completely air tight. you really do no want to suck dirt in that can eat away the titanium intake valves, not to mention the piston and cylinder.

in the end we abandonned the idea of a K&N on an EXC-R, too much hassle for what you end up with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Here's the final result :bannana: The k&n filter gave me; raw sound, a little bit more power that i can noticy by the wheel lifting more easyer than before. Im happy with the result :bannana:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts