SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pretty much decided on building a yz450 for street use, if I can find a wr for a good price I will go that route, however they are rare and more expensive, but say I do the yz450f, how much can I extend the oil changes? I know it has small oil capacity, so would buying a extended clutch case allow you to fill more oil, thus extending the service oil changes? What about an oil cooler? I know yamahas are dependable so If possible I would like to extend oil changes as much as possible without just risking the engine life. I know I know its a high performance race bike but rather not have weekly oil changes lol, I came from 600cc sportbikes with nice service intervals so I am spoiled in that regard:lol: I don't mind wrenching, actually enjoy it but not super often.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have pretty much decided on building a yz450 for street use, if I can find a wr for a good price I will go that route, however they are rare and more expensive, but say I do the yz450f, how much can I extend the oil changes? I know it has small oil capacity, so would buying a extended clutch case allow you to fill more oil, thus extending the service oil changes? What about an oil cooler? I know yamahas are dependable so If possible I would like to extend oil changes as much as possible without just risking the engine life. I know I know its a high performance race bike but rather not have weekly oil changes lol, I came from 600cc sportbikes with nice service intervals so I am spoiled in that regard:lol: I don't mind wrenching, actually enjoy it but not super often.
I would be carefully with that. You can't compete the service intervals from the sportbikes with the the 1 cylinders, especially with the lesser oil capacity.
No experiences with a extended clutch case.
At least i think changing oil & filter is not that much wrenching and should be easily done very quick :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Save yourself the trouble and just get a big bore sumo like the ktm or husqvarna.. Even if you have to plan a trip out of state I think you will be money ahead.. You are really setting yourself up for a lot of work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts