SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya...

l have bought a bike and the previously mentioned mods are all done. Any idea what sort of hp this bike should be pushing at the rear wheel?

Thanks!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hiya...

l have bought a bike and the previously mentioned mods are all done. Any idea what sort of hp this bike should be pushing at the rear wheel?

Thanks!
Probably about 50 - 56 depending on if its a good tune, and also depending on air temp & elevation

·
Registered
236 Posts
My antique DR should make just over 50 at the tire. That thing is gonna make considerably more.

·
Registered
859 Posts
My antique DR should make just over 50 at the tire. That thing is gonna make considerably more.
Guess it depends on the dyno. The dyno I have been using seems pretty close if you account for drive train loss of 15%. Given 63 crank HP no way you are.going to make more than mid 50's at the wheel.

A fully done up & bling'd out race 450 doesn't make much more than that. LC4 is a motor tuned and built.for high mileage and longevity.

An internally stock LC4 will never make over 60 at the wheel IMO

·
Registered
236 Posts
Guess it depends on the dyno. The dyno I have been using seems pretty close if you account for drive train loss of 15%. Given 63 crank HP no way you are.going to make more than mid 50's at the wheel.

A fully done up & bling'd out race 450 doesn't make much more than that. LC4 is a motor tuned and built.for high mileage and longevity.

Really? I just would have assumed they would make alot more than my old SOHC DR that is ABSOLUTELY a longevity built motor. lol

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
you can get the 690 lc4 engine to 70 hp without touching the engine.... its been proven

and with that setup hes got id say around 56-62 depending on dyno and if they manage to get the tune boy dialed in....

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
oh and odnt forget to actualy look at the power curve to see how soon the power comes in and how much of it is become usable and how much torque youve gained too... its not all about peak horsepower.....

·
Registered
859 Posts
Id like to see a real dyno sheet that shows a 690 making that kind of power without engine mods. Maybe with a bike geared down but not stock I can't imagine. Standard 93 pump gas too, no oxygenated VP fuel.

Really, not trying to argue, I'd like to see it cause I didn't think its possible

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stock figures are 63 at the crank, right?

The previous owner put considerable effort into tuning the bike on a dyno with a pro. We are at sea level here. Apparently his numbers are now 63-65rwhp.

l was hoping to verify this was feasible.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Intune is right, it all depends on the dyno used. I'll give you a good example; I just had my DRZ dyno tuned by a pro with over 30 years of tuning motors, two different dynamometers were used. One is a standard dyno, the other is what is known as a load test dyno that actually simulates real world conditions by putting the engine under load. Both are made by dynojet. It put down right at 42HP on the standard dyno, but just shy of 36HP on the load dyno. 60+ rwhp would be more than the venerable 560smr, which is an all out no holds barred race motor. Mid 50's true HP at the wheel for a street motor is fantastic, I'd be tickled shitless myself.

·
Registered
859 Posts
to put it in perspective, on the same day and same dyno after I put down 55 rwhp with the 690, my brothers mildly uncorked DRZ400SM (screen removed from exhaust, and airbox opened a little bit) made 35 rwhp.

I just don't see how you could get 15%-20% increase in power with an air filter and open exhaust on these motors. KTM claims the 690 LC4 put out 63 hp. So to get near that number at the rear you need to increase power to overcome drive train losses by at least 15%. That kind of power is usually made with internal engine mods (pistons, cams, port work, etc..) Also, what gearing changes & what trans gear were these alleged 60 rwhp bike in?

All on the same dyno, in 4th gear with stock SMC gearing, I went from 51 (open airbox, open FMF exhaust, and akra map) to 55 (close to perfect dialed in fueling with the vortex ECU).

So with nearly spot on fueling I gained 4 hp but still no where near 60 hp at the wheel. I just can't see there being that kind of discrepancy bike to bike where some would be nearly 9% more powerful with no changes.

Please share how its been done

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
to put it in perspective, on the same day and same dyno after I put down 55 rwhp with the 690, my brothers mildly uncorked DRZ400SM (screen removed from exhaust, and airbox opened a little bit) made 35 rwhp.

I just don't see how you could get 15%-20% increase in power with an air filter and open exhaust on these motors. KTM claims the 690 LC4 put out 63 hp. So to get near that number at the rear you need to increase power to overcome drive train losses by at least 15%. That kind of power is usually made with internal engine mods (pistons, cams, port work, etc..) Also, what gearing changes & what trans gear were these alleged 60 rwhp bike in?

All on the same dyno, in 4th gear with stock SMC gearing, I went from 51 (open airbox, open FMF exhaust, and akra map) to 55 (close to perfect dialed in fueling with the vortex ECU).

So with nearly spot on fueling I gained 4 hp but still no where near 60 hp at the wheel. I just can't see there being that kind of discrepancy bike to bike where some would be nearly 9% more powerful with no changes.

Please share how its been done
i had mine dyno'd at 56hp with just the sc-project with baffle in... and the airbox lid off... im going through all my papers trying to find it so i can show you guys...

im also going to the dyno shop this week and ill hit you up with the numbers after

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I agree, 52 to 55 is realistic. I can't see the 690 getting any more without engine work.
you guys have little faith in these engines lol

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yeah, please share your dyno sheet.

I can say with great confidence though, that if you.ran it on my dyno, 56 would be a REALLY good number. Rear tire air pressure can be another factor too :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking forward to seeing some data myself!

l was pretty stoked about the numbers that were mentioned by the previous owner... however there are guys over at Thumpertalk who are singing the praises of their near 60hp DRZs. Made me wonder if l would have been better off throwing in a stroker crank etc. into my old Dizzer.

Anyway.. that isn't the argument as l know the SMC has better suspension, brakes, clutch... and COLOUR (^_-)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Found my last batch of dyno sheets.

I was wrong on my numbers a little. Before with KTM ecu & akra map was best of 55. After vortex and dialing it in I got 58. That is with really good fueling 13.4:1 steady from 4000 rpm to redline a full fmf 4.1 exhaust with partial baffle, and no airbox lid with k&n filter.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Looking forward to seeing some data myself!

l was pretty stoked about the numbers that were mentioned by the previous owner... however there are guys over at Thumpertalk who are singing the praises of their near 60hp DRZs. Made me wonder if l would have been better off throwing in a stroker crank etc. into my old Dizzer.

Anyway.. that isn't the argument as l know the SMC has better suspension, brakes, clutch... and COLOUR (^_-)

60 HP DRZ..... :rofl:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts