SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first maintenance last night @ 530 miles (oil/filter, chain, chassis bolts, valves). Gotta give props to Husky - the valve adj. was cake! Whole thing went through without a glitch (I think the hardest part of the whole job is the removal of the stupid de-compression cable and the metal clip that holds on the breather tube).

My intakes were spot on - 0.005" both valves. No complaints there.

Exh. lash was 0.004" both valves. It makes sense to me that the exhaust valves will heat up more and are then more prone to valve-stretch. I was surprised it was this drastic, though. Shimmed her back to 0.007" so we are hopefully good for the next 2,000 miles.

Question, is this common? How many of you have seen the valve clash close up after initial break-in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just adjusted my valves for the first time since ownership of my 510. The bike has 2800 miles on it and to my knowledge the valves have never been adjusted :headshake (bought bike at 2400 mi). The intake valves were at .005-.006" (within spec) and the exhaust valves were also at .005-.006" (out of spec).

To me, it would make since that the exhaust valves would be more prone to experience diminished lash, as they experience higher temps. I can not say whether it is common for the exhaust valves to be out of spec more often than the intake, as I do not have enough experience to draw from.:headscrat

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I had a 2004 husky 450SMR and after 1 year or racing and trail riding (checked valves every other oil change) I had only reshimmed one exhaust valve over the period of a year or so. My friend bought the bike from me and has been continuing to beat on her, still in spec. I would contact the dealer and see what they think, it seems strange to me that they are so out of spec already but than again they say almost all bikes need the valves adjusted after break in. Goodluck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took her out to the hills yesterday for a post-maintenance shakedown. Bike feels awesome. Don't know if it's my imagination or the combination of the valve adj, oil, chain cleaning/wax but the bike seemed to run a lot smoother and stronger.

Not to get off topic but I'm glad I didn't go any past 530 miles to change the oil. There were a lot of metal shavings on the drain plug and it looks like the filter was doing it's job. I wonder how many contaminates come from the clutch plates vs. the engine? Put some Rotella T syn in w/Hi-Flo filter and bike runs and shifts great. A lot fewer false neutrals now also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts