SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been browsing the site for a while now and havent really posted. Ive learned a lot from you guys :thumbup: .

So tonight I started pulling the stock exhaust off the bike and got one side completely gutted. I guess my question is is to baffle it or leave it completely gutted?

I can post some pictures of the second one when I start on it tomorrow night if you guys would like.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I gutted and chopped my 09 510's exhaust 3'' and made it a strait through design. I took out EVERYTHING and welded in a perforated pipe and then packed around the perforated pipe with the FMF 4 stroke packing.

A couple of tips:
-Use steel not aluminium rivits
-Use high temp RTV around the nose cone and the pipe where it connects to the can
-Make sure that you can unrivit it and pull it apart to replace the packing if needed
-Pack the packing a little tighter than you would your normal MX bike so it will last (also makes it louder:clap:, but not toooo loud). My neighbors still like me
-Cut out the POS they call a catalytic converter at the base of the pipe.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of staying stock length. Although I do like the shorter versions, I'm nervous to chop the can. Where did you get the baffling and how did you mount it? Also did you have to tune it?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, its done!

Im running it completely gutted at the moment Im going to pull it back apart and put baffles in it in the near future. Its really not as loud as I thought it would be. I dont notice either a decrease or increase of power.

I guess I will say im going to save the pennies for a power commander V.

Total time invested was about 2 hours. If anyone has any questions on the steps I took ill be more than happy to answer them.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I gutted and chopped my 09 510's exhaust 3'' and made it a strait through design. I took out EVERYTHING and welded in a perforated pipe and then packed around the perforated pipe with the FMF 4 stroke packing.

A couple of tips:
-Use steel not aluminium rivits
-Use high temp RTV around the nose cone and the pipe where it connects to the can-Make sure that you can unrivit it and pull it apart to replace the packing if needed
-Pack the packing a little tighter than you would your normal MX bike so it will last (also makes it louder:clap:, but not toooo loud). My neighbors still like me
-Cut out the POS they call a catalytic converter at the base of the pipe.
Top tip. I didn't do that when I did mine and I get a bit of blowback on the engine side of the end cans. Winter I'll repack and seal them up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I cut mine down and gutted the cans. The factory cans are really restrictive and mine is a lot louder than stock now that they are gutted. I'm gonna try to post a video on you tube soon. I can tell you It took me more than 2 hours to gutting mine. :lol: Took me about 3 - 4 weeks to get mine done. This is what they look like now.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Seems odd to leave it gutted without any type of straight perforated core and baffling. You might as well not even have the cans if you're not going to pack them with something. In addition, IIRC, it's not all that great for the engine as you lose all back pressure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Seems odd to leave it gutted without any type of straight perforated core and baffling. You might as well not even have the cans if you're not going to pack them with something. In addition, IIRC, it's not all that great for the engine as you lose all back pressure.
I agree, no back pressure is bad.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I cut mine down and gutted the cans. The factory cans are really restrictive and mine is a lot louder than stock now that they are gutted. I'm gonna try to post a video on you tube soon. I can tell you It took me more than 2 hours to gutting mine. :lol: Took me about 3 - 4 weeks to get mine done. This is what they look like now.
Those look sweet, you got the steelwork chromed right? You got empty cans or did you baffle them? Let's see some pics of them on the bike. I used so me SS baffle tube, welded to the engine side pipe and packed around it with exhaust packing. They flow great, not too loud round town and saved a ton of weight. Aftermarket cans at £80 v £400 for a pair of Arrows etc :thumbup:

Working it out..

All buttoned up..

On the bike..

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did put baffels back into mine and repacked them. I got the cans powder coated then I blended the welds smooth and polished the metal on a 8 inch polishing wheel. This is a before pic of the work.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Perforated tube is just welded in to engine side cap, and endcap(outer) is just riveted to outer shell?

I've already got the tube(50mm) and some exhaust packing material(basalt wool, not sure it's good).

Got the outer shells removed today and tomorrow hopely i have time for some cutting and welding...

edit: also, should i have somekind of a steel mesh wrapped around perforated tube so it would prevent escaping of the packing material? (Did i write this right??? ;) )

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ok, got all done today and made a little test ride... The thing is LOUD, or maybe i was just used to stock pipes :D

I think something must be done to keep neighbours and police happy... Ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
inner tube

Where did you guys pick up the inner tube for these? Im looking at starting this seeing as though winter is coming soon. either gonna do that or the fmf powercore pipe mod. Anyone have a video or more detailed pics of how the process goes?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ok, got all done today and made a little test ride... The thing is LOUD, or maybe i was just used to stock pipes :D

I think something must be done to keep neighbours and police happy... Ideas?
Bump.

Last year I did only track days so noice wasnt a concern. Now it's even louder and would be time to change packings...but

Best option for reasonable noise and good flow? Should I modify stock interns somehow? Stock interns without cat?
Smaller perforated tube? Bigger?
Use the 2" perf.tube what I have now and put somekind of flaps inside?

Whaat... Lots of ideas but I have no glue what would be best so not much of hp would be lost...

I'm not so worried about weight(got 10kgs during winter so it's a lose-lose situation) :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts