SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 610SM 8000 miles. Was checking my cam chain tension today (8 clicks at 8000 miles). I noticed the color difference between the two exhaust headers. Any of you seen this before. I cannot imagine this is normal. What is going on here?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I can check the plug it but it is a 2008 with FI. I would think if there is an AF ratio problem that both ports would experience the same conditions.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yeah, that's weird. Were the headers sealed good onto the engine?? Might be the lean one was loose. I'd be checking your valve clearances also.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Black is normal for EFI with oxygen sensor. This could be the way the exhaust gasses flow from the cylinder head. Normally with an exhaust header leak or leaky valve you will experience backfire on decel.

Check valve clearances and plug color. The sparkplug insulator should be a tan color.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I have been getting a blinking neutral light lately. It might mean something is amiss with the FI ... I think I will have to take it to the dealer for that. Cannot find on any forum a fix for this. I am wondering if the oxygen sensor is misbehaving.

How would I check for a good seal at the headers?

I am about due for a valve check as well.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've not got a 610 so I assume they're a spring held affair onto collars with a gasket underneath?

You'd have to get a couple of new gaskets and remount the collars. With the headers, make sure they're a snug fit and when you fit them back up, use some exhaust firepaste to seal them. (Like a gasket glue for exhausts - apply to the joint then seal, the heat hardens it off and seals any gaps).

I'd def check the valves. It does seem odd that one header is so white. There's a whole 610/630 section only on Cafehusky which you'd find real useful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts