SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody that has a 690 smc im sure has burnt a pant leg on the header pipe. Now does anyone know what should i use to get that off or what process do i need to so i dont take the finish off the pipe or ruin it? It just stinks having a really nice looking bike and seeing burnt stuff on the exhaust so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:thumbup:

·
Registered
859 Posts
did same thing on my FMF header.

I used a scotchbrite/pot-scrubber and rubbed carefully and with just enough pressure to get the stuff to flake off, and then got rid of some of the scotchbrite scratches with metal cleaner/polish. Still looks like something happened, but much better than a wad of black melted junk on there.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Spray on Oven Cleaner works

·
Registered
269 Posts
Same thing happened to me.My brand new KTM supermoto leathers got melted to the stock header.

I got it cleaned ok but noticed that my header was corroded a bit where it joins the engine.Its a 2010 bike so I'm surprised to see it there.

Someone suggested to clean it with a wire brush head connected to an angle grinder but surely that would make things worse?

I ordered some exhaust wrap and am gonna try that

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
When my brother got his 625, we traded bikes for a while to see what the other one was like. He wears textile riding pants and melted them on my header!!! Couldn't get it off with anything.... it just eventually melted off clean as before it was on there in about a week. I'm glad because it looked like hell!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
this is exactly why I heat wrapped mine. I only didi it under the heat shield, where I was burning my pants. It's barely visible.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Everybody that has a 690 smc im sure has burnt a pant leg on the header pipe. Now does anyone know what should i use to get that off or what process do i need to so i dont take the finish off the pipe or ruin it? It just stinks having a really nice looking bike and seeing burnt stuff on the exhaust so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:thumbup:
Just get a set of the KTM PowerParts carbon fiber exhaust covers. I got a set on my SMC and they work great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts