SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, how is the reliability of these bikes for everyday riding. I'm more than willing to change the oil every 500 miles as thats quite easy. Even pulling the motor and replacing pistons isn't too bad since i have a friend who used to build race engines and will work for beer.

I can get a really really good deal on a SXV5.5 with less than 700 miles.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Alright, how is the reliability of these bikes for everyday riding. I'm more than willing to change the oil every 500 miles as thats quite easy. Even pulling the motor and replacing pistons isn't too bad since i have a friend who used to build race engines and will work for beer.

I can get a really really good deal on a SXV5.5 with less than 700 miles.

Its a sunday fun bike or track special, not made for commuting...buy a DRZ if you want to commute...save the SXV for hooliganism. Watch the good deals as you could be buying a time bomb...I personally would buy another in a heartbeat:thumbup:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its only about 7 miles to work...and all of 15(back twisty roads) so i don't exactly rack up miles "commuting".

What i really want to know is, will this bike hold up if its maintained how it should be(regular oil changes, etc).

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Its only about 7 miles to work...and all of 15(back twisty roads) so i don't exactly rack up miles "commuting".
short rides are not a good thing. you may not be racking up miles but over short distances the engine will not get a chance to warm up completely (and even if it does get up to temp by that time you'll probably shut it down again because you reached your destination) which will also have a negative effect on the lifespan of the motor. you really don't want to use this bike as a daily driver, take one for a spin and you'll notice soon enough it's not ment to be used that way and it probably doesn't like being used that way.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^thats kinda what i was thinking. If i find its to much to daily drive who cares...there are always weekends.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i dont daily drive but i ride it alot, and god is it a blast, buy it youll love it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same here, I commute probably twice a week when I am home. It's about 12 miles thru the city and some back country roads. It is a blast. It makes me do bad, bad things... ;)

Weekends I usually do a two or three hour "adventure" ride. Just pick a direction and go.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have been using my sxv 5.5 regularly as my only vehicle.... ive got 6000+km on it and no problems except for the front wheel not staying on the pavement

·
Registered
443 Posts
from what ive been noticing, if the motor stays together for the first few hundred mi, it will probably run forever (relatively speaking)
ive seen a few with like 5-6000 miles w/no probs
and if its a 450, they pretty much all hold together well

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
How often does the oil need to be changed!?

If you listen carefully you can hear the worms popping out of the can...................................

I do mine every 3-400 miles some go as high as 1K...not me, an oil change is cheap insurance.

Spence

1 - 15 of 15 Posts