SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.flsupermoto.com
Feast your brains out people. :bannana::bannana::bannana: This is freakin awesome!!!
This was completed 10/27/10!

This is the track layout...although the dirt section is in the same area, the depicted entrances and jumps are completely different, you enter from the bottom that area...the pics should say the rest!

HUGE THANKS (in addition to our sponsors) to Eddie Ray, Stevie Carmack and Mike Patrick for putting your time money and sweat into helping with the track.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Track looks good. The dirt section looks awesome. Hope you have a good turnout.:thumbup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how hard is it to clear a jump like that one in the picture, approx how fast are you going when you hit the jump?
Maybe 20mph?? 25ish?? Don't know.... It's not too insane but you definitely wanna clear it!

Looks like he's comin up short in the pic?
Landed right on the peak a couple times, it's probably safe to assume this is one of those times lol ...never came up too short though, or I probably would be at the hospital....

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
never came up too short though, or I probably would be at the hospital....
I hate to be debbie downer here. But you should really consider filling in those jumps. They look pretty wicked, and I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who would be pretty damn intimidated by them. ( this is of course if you want to appeal to a larger group of riders:thumbup:)

If you don't come from a motocross background, hitting something like that for your first jump(s) could be reallly dangerous. I would recommend to at least make them table tops- so you don't send someone to the hospital everytime someone comes up short..
And I'm sure, during a heavy practice day, or race day the lips on that jump are going to deform, and it can make it even more of a challenge to get over.

Again, hate to be the downer- but I sure am glad to see NWFL get a track! With a little work, it could be a really fun dirt section for all levels of riders.:D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate to be debbie downer here. But you should really consider filling in those jumps. They look pretty wicked, and I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who would be pretty damn intimidated by them. ( this is of course if you want to appeal to a larger group of riders:thumbup:)

If you don't come from a motocross background, hitting something like that for your first jump(s) could be reallly dangerous. I would recommend to at least make them table tops- so you don't send someone to the hospital everytime someone comes up short..
And I'm sure, during a heavy practice day, or race day the lips on that jump are going to deform, and it can make it even more of a challenge to get over.

Again, hate to be the downer- but I sure am glad to see NWFL get a track! With a little work, it could be a really fun dirt section for all levels of riders.:D
No worries Flat Beer we understand your concerns. Here's what we've learned about building tracks; There's always something wrong with it. So, what we do is build the track, make it as friendly as possible for all riders with the available resources, which are always scarce, and then if you don't feel comfortable with something, you can roll it! Making that big double into a table would take 10-15 more expensive truckloads of clay, therefore, it's not feasible. And everyone would design a track differently, so we did our best to make it something awesome for pros, but do-able for joes, like me. You'll never make it perfect for both.
However, Flat Beer, you have worded your concerns in a positive manner, which is extremely appreciated, as this has been hard work and lots of $. Many people complain negatively, which is completely unacceptable, and usually by the people who do the least for the sport.
We want this to be a huge turnout and possibly an annual or maybe bi-annual event. The rhythm section is smaller jumps with a small double, and a single to table for racers new to jumping. Remember, Everything can be rolled! We don't want you to jump anything you don't feel comfortable jumping, but there has to be doubles somewhere, it's what makes it awesome!!

·
Mullet Lord
3,302 Posts
Here's what we've learned about building tracks; There's always something wrong with it.
You hit the nail on the head with this.

For those who complain about supermoto track layouts (and I'm not just picking on you Flat Beer), I have a suggestion for you all. Take a ride down to your local MX or RR track and tell the owner that you don't like a jump or that you feel that a section of his track is unsafe. See how far it gets you. When you show up to race at a track, you are by definition going to be racing on the track as it was built. That's why it's called a track. If you don't like the track as it is built, you won't hurt anyone's feelings by not racing on it. There are a few MX tracks in the state of FL that contain sections that scare me. Rather than bitching about them to the track owners and trying to ruin those sections for the fast guys who enjoy them, I choose to ride within my limits and not take chances while riding through them.

I'm not trying to come off as a dick at all, but supermoto is the only form of motorcycle racing I have ever experienced where people honestly believe that their personal opinion toward a jump/obstacle/whatever should give them the authority to have it removed from the track. This is simply not how racing works.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
that dirt section looks pretty nice.
Im in the opposite boat, Im tired of weak ass dirt sections.
I want to start seeing monsters at supermoto tracks, like 75+ feet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will completly agree with davimac. It deff. bums me out when I go to a track that is sick and has some nice difficult jump/rythum sections in it and then people complain that they cant do it so it should be removed or mellowed out. Ive been racing motorcycles for a long time ranging from motocross to road racing and when you go to those events your not changing anything.

So great job on building this track and layout Mark.:clap: Looks awesome and am extremely jealous that its pretty much in your back yard and not in my area.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I will completly agree with davimac. It deff. bums me out when I go to a track that is sick and has some nice difficult jump/rythum sections in it and then people complain that they cant do it so it should be removed or mellowed out. Ive been racing motorcycles for a long time ranging from motocross to road racing and when you go to those events your not changing anything.

So great job on building this track and layout Mark.:clap: Looks awesome and am extremely jealous that its pretty much in your back yard and not in my area.
Haha thanks Neil you'll be killing it anyways! We'll get to ride it a bit here and there but it's mostly off limits until raceday. We think we are gonna have a trackday the Friday before the race on Nov. 19th, but not 100% sure.

We want everyone, and of all levels to come out and race, so if you are newer to MX or supermoto or even just "bigger" jumps, we definitely want you out there. In fact, we built the single to table super mellow so that the fast guys can do the whole thing but the newer guys can still jump onto the table with very little chance of getting hurt even in a worst case scenario. It's a win-win situation!
Picture of the "super mellow" single to table

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I might have to come down this winter for some riding.
Im sure around February I will be dying to escape the cold here.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
are you guys your own race organization?
what would be required of me to compete?
I already race locally here and I am an AMA card holder.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
are you guys your own race organization?
what would be required of me to compete?
I already race locally here and I am an AMA card holder.
Yes, Florida Supermoto is the organization. www.flsupermoto.com
You would just need to register and pass tech inspection when you show up.
Safety wire oil drain plugs, oil cap, oil filter bolts, functioning brakes...you know...the usual, no surprises. You can register ahead of time online, or day of at the track.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
This has already been said but this is a fantastic track and lay out. Im really impressed with all of the promo and work that has gone into this race. Should be an insane turn out and the whole Bassett squad should be in attendance. I wish we could have sponsored this race.... Sorry guys....

As far as the jumps go..... I think iv come a long way and expeicilaay racing a mini before. I will admit that some of the jumps are just to big for minis but i never asked for them to be smaller, you dont have to jump anything if you dont want to. Now (on a big bike) i feel really comfortable. Bring on the big jumps!:arsenal Im so excited about this race. See you guys there.

~Shawn

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
that dirt section looks pretty nice.
Im in the opposite boat, Im tired of weak ass dirt sections.
I want to start seeing monsters at supermoto tracks, like 75+ feet.
I would have to agree with you on the 75' jumps. Look at some of the tracks in Europe, there dirt sections are like full blown MX tracks.:thumbup: But on the other side of the coin,I have seen first hand how even a simple maneuver in the dirt can overwhelm a road racer with no dirt experience. Anyone can ride on the tarmac, but you have to learn how to ride in the dirt.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
you guys are all VERY right. And I'm sorry if I stepped on any toes. I can only imagine the amount of work, time, energy and especially money that went into something like this. Most probably out of pocket from a few VERY dedicated FLSM riders. By no means do I mean to criticize the job you guys have done here.

After looking through your photos more thoroughly than I did this morning, I can see that the big double is definitely the most committing jump on the track. and that most of the others look very well built, and accessible for even the worst of track riders (like myself:anim_peep:)

With that said, the fact that you guys have both small sections and the bigger stuff is awesome. Tracks that are too easy are no fun, and having the ability to work up to something like that is sick.

I wish I was able to make it up to the race that weekend.. damn school..
Hope you guys have a great turnout, and some sick races!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Ok, time to chime in here...
This event has been over 2 years in the making! Since DaviMac, Blownmustang, Yamadog, and I were buzzing around the Monticello track in 08 we have wanted a race in Tallahassee!
This event is in a city park! With the city of TALLAHASSEE INVESTING TIME AND RESOURSES! They want a Show! And Thunder, I and the whole Florida Supermoto crew intend to give it to them! We are advertizing locally with 1000's of flyers, bus ads, TV and radio spots. We will have spectators at this event.
Now, with that said. If we build the dirt section with 3 table tops and a berm we would be laughed at and asked want the hell is this crap? We want to atract ALL supermoto racers from the east coast to come and be apart of this event!
One of our sponsors has invested $5000.00 of his own money to see this thing go off big. I don't intend on letting him down!
AS far as the dirt section goes, Jessica Patterson, Eddie Rey, Thunder Mchaffie have stepped up to design an EPIC Supermoto track for US racers to enjoy!
The builder of the track IS a PRO. He does this for a living! The freaking track is beautiful! There are PRO MX racers in the area and this is the guy!
So, Get your calender out and mark down the 20th of November. Come down and either race or watch the Tallahssee Supermoto Jam as it unfolds before your very eyes! it will be great!

Larry Wolfe43

1 - 20 of 27 Posts