SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an Epic Motorsports Chain block slider a few weeks back, just to prevent any possible chain slap on the rim/tire. After drilling and tapping the hole and getting it mounted, it looked good, and seemed to perform pretty well. Didn't grind down or anything, just a slight groove where the chain rides after a run around the block.

Well, after running it at the track a couple weeks ago, I pulled into the pits after a 10 minute session, to find the delrin was gone, the metal mounting bracket was still there but the plastic piece fell off. Luckily after a quick search on the track, I found it, looked like the screws had just backed out.

So after I got home, I got some identical replacement bolts and loctited the delrin block back on the mount. Put it to the test for the race in San Diego, and it worked well.

Last night, went out for a fun session at the track. Checked the slider to make sure it looked solid still. After 2 sessions, the entire metal bracket had completely snapped off. I wasn't even riding that hard either for those sessions.

After talking to a few guys there, they all said, "Oh yeah, the epic motorsports slider is shit"

I agree. Don't buy this. It's a piece of shit. I saw the prairie city supermoto slider that someone had, it had a thicker and sturdier bracket, and a couple other guys had custom ones performing well. Bottom line: If you're gonna sell supermoto stuff, engineer it, test it, re-engineer it, and test it again until you have a solid product.

But what do I know...I only use the product for what it's intended.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
That sucks man. I was thinking about getting one too, but then I saw a thread where one had come apart like you're describing. :|

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Maybe your first plan of attack could have been a call to epic motorsports to give them a chance to rectify the problem, rather than post this right away. It's possible various problems (material thickness) make it through their own testing without showing its ugly head. Who knows maybe they'll warranty yours for free with an updated model once they're made aware of the issue..

But what do I know, I've just spent time developing and testing my own things only to find problems a long while down the road :lol:

Give Epic a call and explain your situation, they're nice guys

·
Registered
451 Posts
I hear ya. 1st time out mine went missing. Sent email to Epic last week and no response. I will send one more email and see what happens...if anything!

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
I hear ya. 1st time out mine went missing. Sent email to Epic last week and no response. I will send one more email and see what happens...if anything!
Let us know how it goes.
Just saw this, thanks Ryan. Yep no bueno....
Nice job on the CRF, it turned out well :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Contact Joe @ mtostrano about a Graves slider block

·
Registered
138 Posts
Had the same problem with the actual metal snapping off.

Decided to make my own out of SS angle and delrin, both of which are available through McMaster-Carr. I used larger(m8)bolts into the swing arm and loctite does not hold well on polymers but superglue works well. I spent ~50 in materials but got two feet of delrin and 3 feet of steel angle. It's not pretty but it does the job and will not fatigue out.

Before moving to a harder plastic I did try PTFE(teflon)but I found it was much too soft to work well.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
on my YZ450 i actually swapped to a DRZ swingarm slider as it has the side sliders built in and will be replaced everytime i change the slider :thumbup:

z

·
Registered
451 Posts
Update

Spoke to Kevin at Epic via email. He is shipping out another Delrin block. So give em a holla see if they can help ya out.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe your first plan of attack could have been a call to epic motorsports to give them a chance to rectify the problem, rather than post this right away. It's possible various problems (material thickness) make it through their own testing without showing its ugly head.
Well I will be contacting them about it, but I would be really surprised if the actual problem will be rectified in the end, considering all the riders at the track had the same general opinion, and several people have similar reviews online here.

Who knows, maybe it is just a quality control thing. Ill give em the benefit of the doubt, and try another, but if i end up with the same results...:headshake

I hate writing a bad review of a product from a company who is supporting supermoto, it sucks, but when it's so bad that it disintegrates with normal intended use, I gotta let people know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts