SuperMoto Junkie banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Husqvarna SMR 510
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Progress!!
Took off the top end, to reveal that the most likely culprit was rod knock. The piston has alot of wear on the sides. Also the rod has up and down play. The cylinder walls are actually not that bad. Only 1 minor scratch that i can feel with my nail.

So i have to order new piston, new rod bearings (i'm just going to buy a whole rod kit with a new rod aswell), and fix or replace the cylinder.

My next question is: Can the cylinder be saved? I have heard something about nikasil coatings, but im not too familiar with what that is. Is it possible to hone it? Is it even necessary to hone it if it's just one minor scratch?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Cool, thanks for update.
If need some parts, here is few parts seller, ask from them. They are good

I´am not expert, i would talk that cylinder with mechanics/machine shop..

·
Registered
Husqvarna SMR 510
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Nice! That Ricambi guy has alot of useful parts.
Just sent the cylinder to a mechanic for a new nikosil coating. Next step is to split the cases and start tearing it apart.
I think i'm just going to change all the bearings aswell. Do it once and do it right. Internals need a good cleaning also.
The cylinder won't be back until 6-8 weeks, and until then i can't order a new piston.

·
Registered
Husqvarna SMR 510
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just ordered gasket kit, oil seal kit and the two crankshaft bearings from ricambi! Hoping this guy is legit haha. In total £400..
Cylinder fix was £380, new piston and rod kit is £400. Then i have to order the rest of the bearings.. im guessing around £200.

which brings me to a total of £1380
Too much for me haha! These bikes man.. well well.. guess thats what happens When i dont take care of it :p

·
Registered
Husqvarna SMR 510
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Little update: have not gotten any further due to getting the wrong flywheel puller in the mail. Have to wait to get a new one. Also, all parts from Ricambi arrived and it's looking good! Couple more weeks until the cylinder gets sent back to me. Hopefully im done with the bottom end when it arrives.
All in all, there is still hope for her :D
Thinking about powder coating the frame, subframe & swingarm black. Especially the frame, it is starting to show some rust.

·
Registered
Husqvarna SMR 510
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well.. this is the bike now😂 I wonder if im in over my head. Never done anything like this before so hopefully i will get it back together again. Also, i don’t have much of a workspace as the picture shows

·
Registered
Husqvarna SMR 510
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Still waiting for the cylinder to get sent back. Meanwhile, i've split the cases and changed all the bearings.
New rod is installed on the crank. Sandblasted the frame and sprayed it black (the cheap way lol). Finding time for the project is hard, between school and work, but it's getting there. Installing the crank and transmission on monday. Looks like she will be ready for the summer season :)

Attachments

·
Registered
Husqvarna SMR 510
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Rod had up & doen play and too much sideplay. Main reason for metal shavings is most likely the rod bearing. Then the piston got slapped inside the cylinder (small bits of the piston are missing). This then caused the rest of the engine bearings to say byebye.

·
Registered
Husqvarna SMR 510
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
quick question! How do i know if the oil pump rotors need to be changed? I took them out of the housing, and they have some marks that i can see and feel. I assume they're supposed to be completely smooth? Just for the two rotors my dealer wanted $304 which seems insane.. With the amount of shavings in the motor, i would expect to see some damage to the rotors. But how much is too much?

·
Registered
Husqvarna SMR 510
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Put the cases together, and now the crank wont spin:( i tested everything before putting them together. Crank spun perfectly. Now that they’re together, the crank stops at one point and refuses to go any further… I have to reopen the cases and see what’s wrong.. just my luck🥲

·
Registered
Husqvarna SMR 510
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
UPDATE!

The bike is finished, or so i thought haha.
It's all together and it's sitting outside with fresh oil, gas and coolant. Only problem is, it won't start haha. I've checked the easy stuff, like if there is spark, and enough gas on the tank. Also checked the 3 fuses on the rh side next to the batttery + the 2 fuses on the starter relay. I can't seem to figure this one out. The valves should be in spec.

Valve 1: 0,15mm
Valve 2: 0,15mm
Valve 3: 0,10mm
valve 4: 0,15mm
if i remember correctly

Both ground cables are connected to the starter motor on the left screw.
The engine turns and some smoke is coming out of the exhaust. If i give it a little gas while trying, it will sometimes backfire. There was one backfire that was HUGE. Like flames, sounded like a gunshot. But it will not "catch" at all. It feels like it can turn forever and not even try to fire up.

Any tips on what i should check since it's a fresh rebuild and the whole bike was apart?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Nooo, you should never give throttle in EFI bike, when there is that possible that you blow you rubber intake manifold.
Always use choke. My advice is check that rubber intake manifold now. Also is there coming any fuel, can you smell it or you can take that throttle body out and try to start, to see if fuel is coming, but beware there can be coming fuel pretty lot.
Is your timing ok??

·
Registered
Husqvarna SMR 510
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Ahhh thanks for the tip, had no idea. Will check the manifold. I just put a new one on too hahah. When i took out the sparkplug to check it, i could smell gas in the cylinder, so i think its getting fuel. Timing… Hmm.. now that you mention it, i did not check if i was on the exhaust stroke or the compression stroke When putting the top together. I did have it at tdc, but maybe the wrong one so i need to turn it 180°. That would explain the backfires, not starting etc… Thanks, will def check timing!

·
Registered
Husqvarna SMR 510
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
No luck.. Timing was correct on the compression stroke. The cam lobes were pointing / \ when it was on tdc.
Im really scratching my head on this one.. Only thing else i can think of is the o2 sensor or lambda sensor. With a new arrow exhaust fitted there was no place to fit it, so it is not connected. But from what i've read, it should start without it and just run very lean. It cranks and cranks but nothing happens except an occasional small backfire.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts