SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
Husqvarna SMR 510
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey!
I’ve got a Husqvarna SMR 510 2010. Changed oil and filter twice in a 5K km period. Only street ridden and no racing. The knocking came suddenly and gets worse and louder the more i rev the bike. The bike still starts and runs great apart from the metallic knocking sound. Also When i changed the oil yesterday there was alot of metal shavings on the plug.
I would really appreciate some tips to what it could be specifically. I have some friends who can possibly fix it if they know exactly what it is. Anyone else had similar problems?

· Registered
55 Posts
Hey!
I’ve got a Husqvarna SMR 510 2010 That i bought used from a dealer about 5 months ago. Bike had 19k km when i bought it, now it has 24.5k km. Changed oil and filter twice in this period. Only street ridden and no racing. Had a problem with the starter relay because the bike was not starting. I managed to use a metal tool to start it through the relay. After this the engine has started knocking. The knocking gets worse and louder the more i rev the bike. Went to a mechanic to get a professional opinion without having an appointment (so That i dont have to pay to Get it diagnosed). He thought it sounded bad, maybe cylinder/piston or (rod bearing?). Im not too familiar with engines hahah. Possibly full engine failure. It could also be related to the starter clutch cause of the relay problem. The bike still starts and runs great apart from the metallic knocking sound. Also When i changed the oil yesterday there was alot of metal shavings on the plug.
I would really appreciate some tips to what it could be specifically. I have some friends who can possibly fix it if they know exactly what it is. Anyone else had similar problems?
I only know a general principle which applies to all bikes:

You can have high performance OR reliability... but NEVER both.

Have a mechanic tear the engine down and rebuild it.

· Registered
Husqvarna SMR 510
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
From what i’ve read the SMR leans more towards the reliability side. That’s one of the reasons i bought it hahah. Read that for road use the oil change intervals was around 1000-3000km. It was either that or a exc 500, but those are HIGH maintenance. Is the SMR on the same maintenence level as an EXC??

· Registered
55 Posts
From what i’ve read the SMR leans more towards the reliability side. That’s one of the reasons i bought it hahah. Read that for road use the oil change intervals was around 1000-3000km. It was Esther that or a exc 500, but those are HIGH maintenance. Is the SMR on the same maintenence level as an EXC?? I’ve dropped the bike of at the dealer i bought it from. They said they would diagnose it to find out what was wrong, with no charge. Just hope they fix it too with no charge hahah.
Reliability is riding a DRZ for 11 years and 35,000 miles without taking anything else apart on the engine except changing the spark plug. :)

· Registered
1,888 Posts
WTF, where is reading that oil change intervals is 1000-3000km in SMR model...Dude, that is race bike, some one has been telling you nonsense. Lets hope that engine knock is not bad knocking, when if it is loud it tell that engine is bad, need to open engine. I don´t what sound is that knocking, should hear it.
But here is normal tick/tock sound from engine, i mean that sound is coming from valves, but it is ok
Husqvarna SM510R 2010

Here is good video, how that knocking could sound
BAD 4-Stroke Motor Sound FIXED - Yamaha 450

And here is the main and important

Some good guidelines to follow, when rebuilt engine.
-What maintenance HUSQVARNA SMR 450-510 for road use.
(Intended as a max 3 outputs on track annual)
-Oil and oil filter every 1,000 km (15h), you call this..I would not go at this far, i have used about 500-800km, depending on the use of throttle
-Valves check every 5 000 km (60h)
-Piston between 12 000 km and 18 000 km
(dependent on usage, I generally recommend to hole engine built up in 15 000 km if not used for peaceful road use)(approximately 150 hours)
-Piston rod, distribution chain, timing chain skate, bearings in transmission between 18 000 and 20 000 km
(I highly recommend you to make this work when you replace the piston) (200h approx)

This was my service option, never had issues in 13500km hard street driving
Engine oil 500-800km, oil filter every time, air filter once time in season, if there is winter time, also i was put new spark plug every time when starting season, if i was drive a lot, i was
change it once a season, i was oil my chain after every run,
washed about every 2000 km, also checking every 2000km valves..

· Registered
Husqvarna SMR 510
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks husky530rr for a very detailed answer. I see now that i’ve changed the oil too little.. Bugs me i didn’t know that from the start. So the SMR seems pretty high maintenence. How much would a top end rebuild cost?

· Registered
1,888 Posts
That i know back in the day whole engine rebuilt was cost in dealer about 2000€ depending what/how much parts need to change, there is parts from 1300€ and work pay was 350€. So i dont have any clue what would cost now days, when some parts are "hard" to find i mean, not any more factory prepared. So you should ask your local service shop if not do your self

· Registered
3 Posts
Hey!
I’ve got a Husqvarna SMR 510 2010. Changed oil and filter twice in a 5K km period. Only street ridden and no racing. The knocking came suddenly and gets worse and louder the more i rev the bike. The bike still starts and runs great apart from the metallic knocking sound. Also When i changed the oil yesterday there was alot of metal shavings on the plug.
. I HAVE SAME SMALL KNOCK BUT PISTON STILL GOES UP AND DOWN PROPERLY BUT NO METAL SHAVINGS. VALVES LOOK FINE.
MY BUDDY WHO'S PRETTY KNOWLEDGEABLE SAID PROB THREW SOME BEARINGS. ITS NOT LOUD T8CK AT ALL, SOUNDS LIKE A BB OR BEARING.
HELP PLEASE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts