SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a DRZ400sm. I noticed a knock in the engine other day in traffic when I revved it up from idle with the clutch fully disengaged. It doesn't happen every time I do it, but when it does, the bike kicks out a white puff of smoke. Ideas?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Piston rings shot?

How many miles?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
White "smoke" is usually a busted water jacket.
White smoke could either be oil or water. If it only happens every once in a while, maybe its just condensation burning off.....Does it happen soon after startup? Is the bike stored outside?

I can't imagine that the rings are shot on a DRZ after only 4200 miles unless you are really overfilling the oil!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It normally happens after I've been riding for a while. It doesn't smell like burning oil... The previous owner was rough with the bike. I was told stories about doing burnouts after a "couple of beers."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was deployed when I made the decision to buy. Had a friend look it over and the bike seemed mechanically sound.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ah, well unfortunately I Do have any good advice or knowledge on the subject. Just hoping you didn't buy a lemon or a bike someone beat on...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts