SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, ive tried everything i can think of to find the fault in my electricle system. I've wiggled wires, and took a spray bottle to it. Cant seem to find what is causing the fuse labeled "turn signal" on my 2008 wr250x to keep blowing. Looking at the wiring diagram, i see that damn near everything but the turn signals is run through this fuse. When it blows, it causes my display, starter, brake/license plate lights, and horn to stop working. At times it will burn two or three fusses in a row, and some times it will take a couple days b4 frying em. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
-thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
It could be worse, my DRZ has 1 fuse. Mine turned out to be the controller on the hot grips. From a standard trouble shooting point you should get a multimeter and check the resistance on stuff that shuts off when the fuse blows. You are looking for 12v wires that show no resistance to ground (the bike frame usually works).

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i've been having the same problem with my wr450. i got so pissed i jumped the fuse and looked for the smoke....probibally not the best idea but it worked. i think im going to try and fab up a fuse block because i only have one fuse. when one thing goes, everything goes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
According to the schematic I have, that's not the turn signal fuse (a 15A fuse), it's the ignition fuse (10A), I think, with a brown wire going to it. Anyway, that fuse powers the display, brake lights, starter motor relay, horn, etc. The schematics are tough to follow because they screwed up the numbering of most components by 1 number. The way to troubleshoot a tough short is to disconnect components from the fuse bus one-at-a-time until the short goes away. You'll need lots of fuses. For example, disconnect the horn. Fuse still blows? Disconnect display, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Trash the fuse....get a circuit breaker at auto supply when troubleshooting. Most wiring shorts happen where the wires have to flex somewhere. On a motorcycle, that would be near the steering head. If that fuse powers anything regarding hand controls ( horn, starter, kill switch, etc.) you're on it! You will find it after removing the headlight and clocks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts