SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a problem with the electrical system on my bike, but I can't figure out what's wrong. I don't have a voltmeter, so I haven't used one yet. For starters, I have a 2001 KTM Duke II 640 with an LC4, and everything works great, except for the fact that it seems as though the bike will not charge the battery while running. I have purchased a lifetime replacement battery for the bike, so I'm covered there, and it even drains new batteries fairly fast. I took the bike for a ride of about 40 minutes, and then stopped for around 30 minutes. I left the key in the ignition in the "on" position, and that completely drained the battery. I got a new battery after that, since that one was bad, but it seemed like I should still have gotten some charge from the ride before leaving the ignition on. I checked the stator visually for burns or discoloration, but it all looked normal. When I asked my father about electrical systems, he said that if the bike wasn't making its own electricity then if I started it and disconnected the battery, it should shut off. I did this, but even without a battery connected, it stayed running. I have yet to hook a voltmeter to any part on the bike, since I don't know what to start with. Any ideas?

·
Registered
634 Posts
You need to check the output from you charging system. You will need a multimeter with an amps reading. Also put a voltmeter on the battery when it is running and see if it reads about 13.4 volts. if is reads less and goes down then you need to check you regulator and rectifier. Check the Stator with the amps setting. Most likely your regulator is toast but you should make sure the stator is putting out the correct amps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice 690!

I am new to bike maintenance, but I'm pretty sure the regulator is right under the seat- am I right?
Also, what exactly does the regulator do?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Can't remember were it is bit it should have 3 heavy duty wires going to it and then 4 normal wires leaving it. It regulates the power from the stator to only put out a max of 13.6 and make sure your battery get charged.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks- i needed to know where to look. I wish these parts were easier to get, but maybe if either the regulator or stator is bad I can get one used for cheap

1 - 5 of 5 Posts