SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a problem with the electrical system on my bike, but I can't figure out what's wrong. I don't have a voltmeter, so I haven't used one yet. For starters, I have a 2001 KTM Duke II 640 with an LC4, and everything works great, except for the fact that it seems as though the bike will not charge the battery while running. I have purchased a lifetime replacement battery for the bike, so I'm covered there, and it even drains new batteries fairly fast. I took the bike for a ride of about 40 minutes, and then stopped for around 30 minutes. I left the key in the ignition in the "on" position, and that completely drained the battery. I got a new battery after that, since that one was bad, but it seemed like I should still have gotten some charge from the ride before leaving the ignition on. I checked the stator visually for burns or discoloration, but it all looked normal. When I asked my father about electrical systems, he said that if the bike wasn't making its own electricity then if I started it and disconnected the battery, it should shut off. I did this, but even without a battery connected, it stayed running. I have yet to hook a voltmeter to any part on the bike, since I don't know what to start with. Any ideas?

·
Registered
783 Posts
you rode the bike for 40 minutes, then shut it off for 30 minutes with the ignition on? or was the bike running? Either way, the charging system isn't very strong at idle and won't charge a battery, the charging system needs rpm's to really get the juice flowing. Motorcycles don't create electricity just sitting there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, i just meant that I had the key turned to the "on" position, so the headlight drained the old battery. I think it's the regulator, but I'm also going to change the capacitor too, because I don't think I'm getting enough juice on every startup either.

On a sidenote, some douchebag(s) last night decided to take their drunk selves and rip my seat off, throw that 100 feet away (they broke the pin that locks it onto the bike), rip off the airbox intake, rip out the foam liner, and drop the bike on its side. Luckily, I found all the parts and I ordered a new seat. Also, there aren't any scratches on the body, and the only scratches on the edge of the handlebar and clutch aren't serious at all. Still, if I had woken up last night to catch them in the act, I would have probably shot them- :headshake

·
Registered
273 Posts
No, i just meant that I had the key turned to the "on" position, so the headlight drained the old battery. I think it's the regulator, but I'm also going to change the capacitor too, because I don't think I'm getting enough juice on every startup either.

On a sidenote, some douchebag(s) last night decided to take their drunk selves and rip my seat off, throw that 100 feet away (they broke the pin that locks it onto the bike), rip off the airbox intake, rip out the foam liner, and drop the bike on its side. Luckily, I found all the parts and I ordered a new seat. Also, there aren't any scratches on the body, and the only scratches on the edge of the handlebar and clutch aren't serious at all. Still, if I had woken up last night to catch them in the act, I would have probably shot them- :headshake

what sort of tosser does that!!

1st step would be to get a voltmeter they are a dam site cheaper then random parts!

but i would by the sounds of it go with the regulator but it best to check it first before shelling good after bad money.

i had a problem with a 01 LC4 too it didn't have any electrics before it was started by the kick start i replaced endless parts ignition reg nearly the ecu, but then i notice 1 wire which had corroded off! :rolleyes2:

best of luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep. just borrowed my bro's meter. now if I could just figure out which wires to hook it up to and when to do it...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I just checked the battery at rest, which read 12.95V, and then with the engine running a while and past idle it read 13.35V. Does this mean anything you you?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts