SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My EBC bracket snapped in half, and trashed my rotor and left fork, I put another rotor on my Excel hub and spin it, and I measure it has a outter wobble of 0.48mm; meaning I spin the rotor and it goes from 0mm to 0.48mm at one spot then back to 0mm. Is this acceptable? or should I repair/replace my hub. I supposed this wobble may be comparable to a warped rotor (I know the rotor I put on was true, so the hub rotor mounts Im sure are tweaked), so has anyone rolled stoppies on a rotor that's not completely true? I just want to make sure I don't kill myself out there. Is 0.48mm of wobble acceptable to run?

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
damn.. how the hell did this happen?? what bike?

I have EBC set up as well and now I am concerned!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I didn't know EBC made a half caliper relocator bracket. When I ordered my EBC 320 kit from motostrano for my drz, they sent me a braking bracket along with the EBC disc, which works, but the pads dont make full contact on the disc. But now that I see this...perhaps it's a good thing I have a braking one.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how it happened, it's hard to tell now because everything got so trashed, I had to completely replace the lower fork because it just about ripped the mounts off of it, but I do roll stoppies all the time, and I am really hard on my brakes, my guess is a major stress fracture happened at some point and then it broke in half, or a loctited bolt vibrated loose :headscrat
How I didn't wreck, well, upon application of the brake when the front made some insane noise and locked up at about 55mph, I immediately locked up the rear tire as well, it took a split second to look down and realize I just had a catastrophic front brake failure of some kind, with both wheels not turning at 55mph, the bike did slide a little sideways and quickly reached a dead stop, luckily I was not high-sided or thrown over. :thumbup: It's kinda strange because someone asked me once what you would do if your front wheel ever locked up during a ride, I told them I would lock up the rear and pray, looks like it worked this time :bowdown: There's no doubt I will thoroughly inspect every single part of my braking setups before every ride from now on!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad to hear your ok man! Did you contact ebc or braking about this? I too have the same kit, got it a few months ago but delayed putting it on til now but your story makes me want to send it back to motostrano instead!

·
Registered
287 Posts
MAn that hard to say i have bent/warped rotors and if does mess up the fell and performance of the braking system. On a slightly tweaked rotor .25mm I felt a pulse or shudder at high speed this was on a gsxr 750. On my moto it made a bigger difference one that would probally flip you "due to lack of control and shudder" if your a stoppie guy. I hit a curb while practicing in a neighborhood. Both of these i later had surface ground to smooth out the tweak. Those worked but one set i tried to fix didn't the wheel went from not even spinning freely to a shudder but it was pretty far gone. The hub i would see if a machine shop could either re-surface or make a shim that could ease the wobble. Might be a whole lot cheaper that a new hub good luck. Ps i would also contact EBc and chew them out and ask for freebies that is not cool when non wear items fail for no reason and you could have been seriously hurt they need to make sure its not a product defect. :bannana:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts