SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

anyone have experience with these wheels or similar? I'm sure they're heavy and soft vs nice forged wheels but the price is tempting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the pics!!
Very cool.... Never seen one with off-set rubbers like that!! Makes it so you get move cush in the rebound direction than in the drive direction.
Since I haven't worked on every brand of bike... Has anyone seen off-set rubbers like that before?? Everything I have seen has had equal amounts of rubber on each side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The chain is on the left side of a ktm/husaberg so the thicker portion of the cush drive inserts will take driving force.

The models they sell for japanese bikes(ie 4.25 and 3.5) are not interchangeable. I tried ordering 4.25" from tarazon directly for fitment convenience.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok... Makes sense!!! I ordered sumo hubs from Kevin @ Warp9 about a year ago. He told me they developed the hub for the CR450F and were able to adapt it to the XR650L.... Anyhow they basically copied the best cush drive they could find, and that was the KTM!! (That had equal rubber on both sides.)
Sometimes all you have to go by is your own personal experiences! 😱

·
Registered
10 Posts
Regarding the cush drive rubber inserts my honda nc700x has the same style inserts. Ie less rubber on one side. As does a honda shadow and a bunch of other honda models. So I'm not too concerned about that aspect of it.

My transmission on the berg is fine with the cushless flat track warp 9 'elite' 19s on the street as is. Counter sprocket and shaft look good.

Just itching to get more tire options and my big caliper on. It won't fit the 19s.

·
Registered
44 Posts
NICE looking bike!!! Hope you post another with the cast wheels on.... I like the extra protection that a cush drive offers, especially on these bigger bore thumpers. After much reading, it appears the front sprocket/shaft wear is mostly to do with rider style. The problems seem to come to those who lug the bike in a higher gear.
Keith

·
Registered
10 Posts

It begins. I still gotta swap rear wheel, front rotor and caliper but it's finally happening 🙌 im gonna run the warp 9 320mm and stock caliper/master until the mirrors for my hdb handguards arrive. Then I'll swap to the vmx 4 piston caliper + master and im debating using my beringer solid 310mm rotor or the ktm wave race rotor as it has stock speedometer magnet location.

Also brought the berg to a free sfpd motorcycle training course today. Super fun. Using the husaberg is like entering a cheat code. A lot of people(civillians like me) who attended couldn't even U turn their big ass bikes.

Gonna enter their moto comp in October. Should be a lot of fun! I enjoy gymkhana and the berg is razor sharp on flat track tires. Traction for days.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looking Good!!! Looks like you got them painted??
Ya, I loaned my Sumo to a buddy to do the class, It was a much better choice than the Big Dog chopper thing he had bought!
Post up a nice side pic when you get both ends done!
Keith

·
Registered
10 Posts

Still a lot to do but they fit. Cycle gear also installed my rear tire backwards 😑. So it'll come back off tomorrow.

I didn't paint them. I sharpied the little marks and spots in. Vendor returned $80 for the damage. The inner and outer portions are actually two different tones. They look good!

Only real issue I had was the sprocket carrier being threaded. They're supposed to just be holes for m8x1.25bolts. Anyways I used an m8 die and fully threaded a set of sprocket bolts. I still installed the backup nut and washer like normal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Definitely SHARP!!! I don't know, to me , that looks sooo much better than the pic at the beginning of the thread.
Please keep us posted on how they perform and hold up after some use.... I have a XR650R that is going to get sumo-ed and is a toss-up between these and the Warp9 Stiletto's..... But, there is a huge $$$ difference also.
Keith

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good lookin'!!!! Nice background for the pic!!
Meant to ask you before... do those rims spin nice and straight when new?? I read somewhere someone complaining that the mags were not perfectly straight, as received.
Keith

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put the bike on the pitbull rear stand and the wheel spins true to the eye. I'll check the front soon and update.

I wonder if his issue is related to the spacers. I noticed that when adapting the 25mm rear wheel to 20mm (my berg has 20mm rear axle) that the ktm spacer only downsizes the cush drive bearing but not the actual left wheel bearing. I figured this could cause the wheel to spin out of round.

What i did to resolve this potential issue was sacrifice an extra spacer and cut it off to sleeve the wheel bearing. So that the axle is contacting all three bearings as you'd expect.

Pics down below, it'll make more sense.

The sleeve locks into the bearing and carries the load.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts