SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dunlop vs. brindgestones, spacifilcy racing slicks. Has anyone ran both?I'v always herd dunlops are beter, but how much? Or are they beter at all?:headscrat please help, thanks

·
Registered
379 Posts
Which Dunlops and which bridgestones???

It's a slow (and expensive) process trying out tires.

I've only tried the American SM specific dunlop rears (the 160 ones) and find them to be predictable but very slidey compared to a soft michelin. I've tried the 17" soft bridgestone fronts and really like them, for my level of riding just as good as the michelin supersoft fronts. Bridgestone have a supersoft available in 16.5 which is supposed to be better again.

Also, there is a different Dunlop SM compound used throughout Europe which is different to the US one I think.

I'd love a post put together by someone in the know on what compounds are out there, and what works.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd love a post put together by someone in the know on what compounds are out there, and what works.
That makes 2 of us but if i knew the answer it would be my secret.:laughingr I'v herd from sevral people the fronts are good but not much imputs on the rears.:hmmm:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Right now the US made Dunlops are no longer made - they made a batch of the 160 series rears and some fronts but they did not make a second batch. This is because they were working on a new 170 series tire that was 100 times better. A few racers used during the '07 season in the Unlimited class. A production batch has yet to be produced and available to the public.

Right now - Dunlop's supermoto tires include the SM specific 170 series rear, available in 950 (soft) and 701 (med) If you are a hero or a factory rider you may have raced a few events a 515 (supersoft) The 950 and 701 is easily available to the public.
Some riders still run the 165 series tire that was designed for 250 GP road race bikes. They changed the compound numbers so I am not sure what they are now - but I do know the new meats are dual compound

As for the Bridgestones supermoto race tires - I have yet to ride with the new tires but feedback from one person that has said the tires are very good. They have both 16.5 and 17 fronts and 165 series rears grooved and non-grooved.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yeah GSXR King, Bridgestone race tires are such garbage that they just won the MotoGP World Championship, and Valentino Rossi himself threatened not to race in 2008 until Bridgestone said they would give him tires.

Like Scott, I have heard from someone who rode on them that the new Stone SM-specific tires are pretty good, but haven't tried them myself yet Matt. Anyone tried the new ones?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks for the info smrscott. I got a whole bunch of the US 160's cheap as they were discontinued stock. For the price, they are doing me just fine.

Are the new 170 Dunlops suitably sized for a 5" rim, or much better off on a 5.5"?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Thanks for the info smrscott. I got a whole bunch of the US 160's cheap as they were discontinued stock. For the price, they are doing me just fine.

Are the new 170 Dunlops suitably sized for a 5" rim, or much better off on a 5.5"?
I raced the Grovable Dunlops in Medium on the rear in 170/60/17-5" rim, & 120/70/17 softs with great success(left them alone & didn't grove them), & was running pirelli's B-4 that, I didn't like them, because to loose by the end of the day.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Don't read into the 170 size on the supermoto Dunlop too deep

THe 170 series SM (UK Made) is slightly taller and more narrow compared to the older 165 (UK Made) series tire - on a 5-inch wide rear rim. The two tires have a different profile

As for the USA Made 160 series tires - they work for amateur riders but for intermediate to pro riders they don't. These tires also work best on 4.25 and 4.5 rims - not too well on 5-inch rims

Scott, SuperMoto Racer Magazine

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
The SM specific Dunlop 170 is the super wiz-bang shizzle!:thumbup: I run that on a 5.5" rim,(fits perfect) mated with a front Dunlop 125 80R/420 KR106 (16.5")both 950 compound.

I've run Michelin Power Race before with my old Behr wheels(5.0"rear/17" front) and they were good. Stuck well, but when they let go, they let go hard. This has always been my experience with Michelins....stick farther than the Dunlops, but hard to tell where the limit is until you've exceeded it. Then wham! out ya go...

The Dunlops will start to slide earlier, but it's controlable. Kinda like a warning...."any more and you're down!":headshake

I ran a set of Bridgestone BT 090 a couple of years ago and they were horrible. But that's apples and oranges, they're not the same tire that's available now. I havn't run the new stuff, but know someone who has, and he now runs Michelin tires and likes them better. Go figure...:headscrat

Nutshell opinion: 80% of the racers I know prefer the Dunlops, myself included. But it's possible your riding style may be more like the other 20%, and you'll prefer Michelins or Bridgestones or Pirelli or Maxxis. As said before...it just takes some time and trial...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts