SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a bit confused reading the Dunlop spec sheet, so I'll just ask.
what size/version of Dunlop supermoto slick is optimal for the 17" front wheel and a 5" wide rear?

Im looking for the medium compounds with grooves.

·
6,598 Posts
this seems to be a nice summary of what's available complete with compound designation and recommended rim size, though the 170 rear rim size recommendation is probably a typo (5.50 instead of 4.50). bit surprised at their pressure recommendations for the front tyre, 30 psi cold....

for the front you only seem to have one size option and as far as I know dunlop doesn't supply pre cut slicks. they do come with markings that make it easier to cut your own pattern.

http://www.dunlopracing.com/DETAIL-Supermoto.html

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see thats what I dont get, how is the 170 a 199mm wide tire and meant for a 4.5" rim?
I wonder how far off the profile of the 165 is on a 5" rim?

·
6,598 Posts
see thats what I dont get, how is the 170 a 199mm wide tire and meant for a 4.5" rim?

like I said, I bet that's a typo and should really read 5.50, easy mistake. no way is that 170 gonne sit right on a 4.50 rim.

I have a 165 dunlop laying around but have yet to mount it... running a 5 inch rear as well. KTM did supply the smr range with 165 rear slicks for quite some time and all those bikes had 5 inch rear rims, if I had to make a guess I think it won't be that far off.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
I've only ever seen the 170's on a 5" until recently. When they're put on a 5.5 like I just saw recently, they look sort of triangulated. Kinda flat sides, less of a lean angle, and If I remember right the tire was sort of stretched so one side was more flat than the other

1 - 8 of 8 Posts