SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DRZSM or WRX I can't decide.....

I have been looking at several used bikes for sale, and have found both bikes for the same price, year, mileage, mods, etc.

If you could buy either one for less than $4k which would you buy? Why?

I know this has been beaten to death, and there is even a sticky on the subject. I am hoping to hear form someone who has ridden both.

I haven't ridden either one, but they are in opposite directions from me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Really?...I'm not even sure why I'm justifying this with a response.

You've done your research so you already know it comes down to looks/comfort/personal preference. Everybody seems to be happy with what they chose.

In my opinion it comes down to weight. If you are over approx. 200 with gear go with the DRZ for the low-end torque, otherwise its WRX.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok, I went and rode a WRX tonight. Totally bone stock. I didn't expect much from the 250 motor, but i'm not sure it can handle my 225lb. butt. I haven't ridden anything smaller than 696 in a long time.

Downhill was great, but uphill it would only pull 78 mph. I know it isn't built for speed.

No chance that I could wheelie this bike, someone with more skill surely can. 1st gear would only do like 10 mph.

The bike is great overall, just needs more power. Imagine that.

I'm gonna try a DRZ tomorrow hopefully.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really?...I'm not even sure why I'm justifying this with a response.

You've done your research so you already know it comes down to looks/comfort/personal preference. Everybody seems to be happy with what they chose.

In my opinion it comes down to weight. If you are over approx. 200 with gear go with the DRZ for the low-end torque, otherwise its WRX.
I know man, this is dead, bloody pulp of a horse. I'm just late to the party and need to get a few whacks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was choosing from the same two. I never ended up trying a wrx. Bought the first DRZ I tried. I've put 70 miles on it and really like it. It is lighter than any street bike I've owned so weight isn't an issue. I've gotten to an indicated 94 pretty quickly on the highway. Cruising at 70 is no big deal. Torque is lower in rpm range than what I'm used to. I still plan to try out a 250 but so far I'm happy with my decision. Just around town the 250 would be fine for me, but I went with the drz for the better highway and larger tank to get to group rides.

I'm 180 and 6' for reference.

·
Registered
107 Posts
im 200 pounds and love my wrx... ive had every new 600 sportbike and this is by far my favorite bike probably cause i grew up racing motocross.. bike does everything good..ya its not a rocket ship but will get up and move once its open up a little with pipe programmer flapper open and so on. but i will put myself up to any sportbike on real twisty roads i will ride it wide open and not have to worry about the back wheel breaking loose. all in all its a great bike mine has 26000 miles ya that right 26,000 miles and runs and looks brand new.. to each is own though never ridden a drz but im sure it is a great bike just doesnt look as good imo and lacks the good suspension of the wr.. also proably not a big deal to most buts its not Fuel injected and the gas now days with all the ethanol ruins carbs if let sit for too long not such a big deal on a single carb bike but on a sportbike that means you have to clean and resync the carbs which most do not know how... anyways hope this helps good luck

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
NEITHER....... buy a bigger bike with a bigger motor, imho both bike are equal and lame on power... im 200lbs and ive ridden both, the drz has a LITTLE more down low but the wrx whips it everywhere else..... youll want more power sooner or later so you might as well do it now :coffee:

BUT... if i had to choose id go with the wr250x as it looks better revs better and has the 6th gear!

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Comes down to Preference. FI or carbed. 300 lbs or 350lbs. Both are bulletproof. Same price. And with similar mods the dizzer is only slightly faster. You CAN however big bore and FCR the drz and get pretty good power. I ride with one person who rides a drz and everytime either of us change anything on the bikes we let each other ride them. The drz just isnt for me. I'm 6'2" 160lbs for reference. My dizzer buddy is similar sized.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts