SuperMoto Junkie banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Are you serious? There is absolutely no comparison in power and/or handling. The two are light years apart. I just changed a tube on my neighbors DRZ400. So I literally just rode a DRZ and then rode my WR450 (still getting the jetting dialed in). Not trying to hate on the DRZ, but there really is no comparing the two.
so your neighbors drz is a big bore, with stg 1 hotcams, fcr39mm carb, and full mrd exhaust?
if so great, if not.. im not sure why your looking at a stock drz vs what im actually asking about

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am in the same situation. I have a bone stock 09 drzsm and want something with more power and less weigh, but want something similar to the drz maintenance schedule. I already like to change the oil every 500 miles so thats not a big deal. I have been debating on getting it up to 50hp or getting another bike and the wr seems to be a good choice, but still not sure.

·
Registered
284 Posts
so your neighbors drz is a big bore, with stg 1 hotcams, fcr39mm carb, and full mrd exhaust?
if so great, if not.. im not sure why your looking at a stock drz vs what im actually asking about
keep in mind i am a drz fanboi when you read the following

DRZ= hot pile of turdbike
DRZ+alltheshityoumentioned= heavy underpowered wasted 3k turd bike. if you want more power, get a bigger bike. mine is stock, ive ridden ones with 470cc kits and yeah they rip, but its nothing like a factory dirtbike man, my buddy has a 250crf that pulls harder stock then my drzturd.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
keep in mind i am a drz fanboi when you read the following

DRZ= hot pile of turdbike
DRZ+alltheshityoumentioned= heavy underpowered wasted 3k turd bike. if you want more power, get a bigger bike. mine is stock, ive ridden ones with 470cc kits and yeah they rip, but its nothing like a factory dirtbike man, my buddy has a 250crf that pulls harder stock then my drzturd.
Yep. This.

Great bikes. I love them. But they're not on the same level. You can build the crap out of them and get them "closish" but if you put that money into wheels and brakes on a WR, you'll have a way way meaner bike.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
I apologize to you. I forgot about the big bore aspect. However, weight alone there is a huge difference. Plus the WR450 will still have more in the power dept.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I sold my DRZ and picked up a Husky TE610 and will never look back!
Lighter bike with more power but parts are hard to find so I also picked up an extra motor for that.
Just my 2 cents....
Lol :clap:

I dunno, maybe I'm crazy, maybe I dont ride as balls out as everyone else, but a bike that requires a spare motor for parts availability is not my idea of a great ride.

I like to push the button and go.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just sold my 2007 wr450sm, no matter how close you get with a DRZ to the power of a wr450 the weight and handling of the wr450 will always be superior. Also, the power is a completely different feel and the way the bike handles on the road is just awesome.

·
Registered
98 Posts
To omgshesaboy, yes I'm for serious. Obviously the bikes are way cheaper, but its the same damn thing, just because something has the same power, and may be close to the same weight (sorry but aint happening with a drz unless modified to the point where it has a wr frame and swingarm anyways) doesn't mean its the same thing or will handle as well or be as fast. A 450 mx bike will munch on just about anything when set up properly. Example: going from a kx250f to a ktm 625 smc jetted and uncorked was a let down for me. Sure my new bike has w.e 55hp to the wheel, has alot more top speed, is more reliable ect. but its not the same thing, its like riding a pissed of rhinoceros someone gave a half prescription of sleeping pills. Now, i am not bashing drz's whatsoever, they are tanks, great bikes like amazing, i wouldn't hesitate to ride one across the country with nothing but money for gas, they however are not a race bike and without extremely extensive mods wont be one. and all said that's why its so sweet to watch guys on them kick other guys ass's on wr's, smr's, exc's, ect. its mainly rider. Holy long post.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
would you rather a 450hp 3500lb Ferrari, or a 450hp 3500 Honda civic...
I literally LOL'd. Worst analogy I've ever seen on here.

My DRZ has all the goodies, and it's a great bike for what it is. I'm at the point where I'm starting to consider a more race orientated bike. I got the DRZ to have the option of commuting and low cost maintenance, but truth be told, I don't ride as much as I use to. I may or may not sell the DRZ, but I am planning on getting something else. The WR is a big maybe, but I also consider that some factory SM's come out of the box with Brembo's and the likings for not much more than the WR.

I've spent way too much money on the DRZ, and looking back, I probably would have just chosen a different bike if I had known that I would have turned into a 'weekend warrior.'

·
Registered
98 Posts
I still don't see how that analogy is that funny and i'm not even trying to be difficult or a dick, im trying to say it like it is, people need that sometimes (apparently 'people' in this case being ones who own 400sm's).. you think buddy with a 450 hp civic doesn't have "all the goodies"... I bet its a pretty good car, for what it is (sorta like that drz eh). p.s i don't own a civic, Ferrari, or a wr450, and im really not trying to argue im in a light mood sort of chuckling at how defensive and upset people get. drz's are great bikes, just not a wr. flame on
p.s i ride a 625 smc and you can cut those things up for payback to me lol, quite honestly whatever is said would probably be true anyways. But notice when someone tries to compare one to say a 510 smr, i would probably chime in and say thats like a 450 hp lambo vs a 450hp imprezza wrx. Same horsepower...not the same damn thing, never will be, but i think i might be able to accept it. just maybe.

·
Registered
197 Posts
A DRZ is a DRZ you can never change that, if you really want to make a car analogy a WR is like owning a 500hp car, any car really, and a BB DRZ is more of a heavily modified truck, it's just heavier but in a straight line could probably go just as fast.
I am personally keeping my DRZ pretty near stock, I've put exhaust and a jet kit in it, it is what it is, I know there are a couple people on here who have bought every single mod for their DRZ and have crazy youpube videos about it, and no offense, but it is still a DRZ at the end of the day. With all that money in a heavy, old fashioned, factory dual purp I could have my truck running 12 sec 1/4 mi, or buy a real dirt bike to convert. Hell my RM 125s and old KDX 200s had more butt puckering power than my DRZ ever will.
My opinion, leave the DRZ a DRZ, seriously, just go outside and stare at it for a while, look at how it is built it's a tank, then go stare at a dirt bike. An 80's motoXer has the same build techniques, bikes have come a long way, if you want a street killer sumo go with something other than a DRZ. Also you can never get that money back that you put into your DRZ in aftermarket parts, if you get a WR and want to go back to your DRZ you can more than likely get what you paid for it.
I have probably angered multiple people :anim_peep:

·
Registered
217 Posts
DRZs aren't usually cheap either. If you're buying new, or converting the WR there might be a bigger price difference, but I bought my converted yz426 for $3200 with the original dirt parts. You'd be hard pressed to find a clean DRZ and still have money leftover for an exhaust and bigbore. The one thing I"ll give the DRZ is that it seems a bit more refined as a street bike. It rides more like a street bike with an offroad suspension, where as my YZ is definitely a dirtbike with street wheels. I've got some carb work to do that may smooth some stuff out a little, but the DRZ just seems a little smooth around the edges.

I borrowed my friends DRZ for a weekend before I bought my bike and had a great time on it, it's a fun bike, but I love the power coming out of my YZ and the DRZ wouldn't have been able to touch it. Even with the mods, as everyone else mentioned you're gonna have spent a lot more, and the bike will still be way heavier. I can pick my back end off the ground no problem, but I could barely get the back of the DRZ off the ground with my little arms. Not a huge issue for a streetbike, but when I do take it offroad, am already tired, and need to drag my bike out of a mudpuddle I don't have traction to get out of, or try to spin it around to get down a steep trail I couldn't get up, I'd be way too tired to fight with a DRZ.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Alright guys, I'm getting the new bike itch. I have a 48 hp BB DR-Z, and am thinking of swapping for a WR450. I do commute every day on it, about 45 miles/day 5 days a week, plus an occasional weekend ride. Sometimes I do trips, but lately we've been trailering to the trails and then ride from the hotel all day.

My question is if the WR will require as little maintenance as the DR-Z when ridden the same way? I'm getting tired of 1000 mile oil changes on a 320 lb bike. If the DR-Z is going to require more maintenance, I'd rather be on a performance bike like the WR. I am not, however, ok with 500 mile oil changes.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
You should have no problem with 1000 mile oil changes on a WR. You could probably go 1500 or more if you wanted to. And it should handle the commute just as well as a bb drz

·
Registered
60 Posts
around here, DRZ's are about 2500 minimum and that's for an S in ok shape. You will occasionally see an E for under 2k, no plate. an SM is 3500 and up. I'm seeing tricked out, plated WR450's for about 3k. a 426 or 400 in ok shape can be had under 2k easy like 15-1700. For those in the know regarding both of these bikes, how much worse is the WR going to be in maintenance and daily rideability? can they be tweaked to DRZ levels of streetability? I want to go to a lighter, snappier bike and the WR seems like the clear winner but I am not into wrenching on a daily basis. monthly, ok sure. Also the DRZ has a pretty solid ADV cred. can the WR be made into a dual sport that will run with DRZ's and LC4's on longer rides, loaded for a few days' trip?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I amazes me how much hate the DRZ gets around here!:rolleyes2: It cracks me up when people say a 300 lb. bike is a tank.
When I watch all the group ride videos posted on this site, I don't see all the DRZ's at the tail end of the group. The DRZ might not be the best choice for racing, but are we really racing on the street hammer down all day? I think not!

I must have misssed the memo on having the lightest bike with the highest hp. figures makes us hero's, and Supermodels will be waiting for us at the end of each ride.

If we all click our heels three times while rubbing our bellies in a circle while praying to Magic Pink Unicorn, it will produce a 50 lb. sumo with 80 bagillion hp. for all the Kenny Roberts Champions!:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
I must have misssed the memo on having the lightest bike with the highest hp. figures makes us hero's, and Supermodels will be waiting for us at the end of each ride.
I always have supermodels waiting for me at the end of my rides...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts