SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how a drz400 with BB Kit, FCR, Hotcams, ssw/mrd pipe, and 3x3 would stack up to a wr450 on the streets? I have stripped a good amount of weight off my drz. from what I understand the wr is about 270 wet.

For those that dont know, with said mods on a drz your at about 50hp to the wheel.

I aready have the pipe and fcr and am really considering the BB and cams on my drz but I always get distracted by looking at other options. The WR seems to be the next most reliable option because I do ride a lot on the streets.

:headscrat

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
also forgot to mention,there is plenty of real life evidence to prove that the 440 kit for the DRZ does not affect the reliability one bit

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
You can still get that power out of a WR and never crack the motor. Which means more money for other trick bits. I can't take anything away from a drz. Great bikes, but performance wise, you'll have to build the motor, to make the same numbers and still have a much heavier bike. The WR wins hands down. That being said, you've already got the drz, I'm sure the big bore and everything are worth the little bit they cost compared to buying/building a new bike.
What's wet weight on a drz? Like 310-320? It's hard to shrewd THAT much weight. My wrx has nothing but the bare minimum, full titanium and carbon exhaust. Yamaha says wet weight is 300lbs, and it still weighs that with all the crap I took off of it. My husky and any WR I've ever gotten on after it feels so light they feel toy like to me, and my buddy's stripped down drz feels heavy to my 250.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I would rather have a WR. I bought my husky because I found it dirt cheap while searching for a WR. Parts availability is crazy, and reliability is questionable. A WR has the reliability and aftermarket parts availability rivaling that of the drz. And when put together right, are just as strong performers as the huskys.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any idea what kind of title the wr comes with? MC or offroad? its pretty easy in ohio to get it transferred but its just another hurdle.

and if you decide you want to sell your husky to me for what you paid for it........:D:D

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Just an off road title. I don't think it has the "closed course competition only" or anything, but here in Texas you can pretty much street anything. I think Ohio is pretty similar.

·
Registered
159 Posts
would you rather a 450hp 3500lb Ferrari, or a 450hp 3500 Honda civic...
I think you're giving the WR a little too much credit there, or severely undervaluing the DRZ.

They arent THAT different. Yes, the WR is lighter and makes more power stock, but its not as if the DRZ is made of wood and the WR is a $100K bike.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
I think you're giving the WR a little too much credit there, or severely undervaluing the DRZ.

They arent THAT different. Yes, the WR is lighter and makes more power stock, but its not as if the DRZ is made of wood and the WR is a $100K bike.
I think there may have been a bit of exaggerating to illustrate a point. However, the difference between the two is pretty big. You would have to put rocket engines on an already fully modified DRZ to run with a stock WR. :lol:

Seriously, the DRZ is just meant to be a reliable and durable bike. The WR is a whole different animal, but happens to also be in the same durability ballpark as the DRZ.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i had the same dilema.... it's not fair to compare the drz400sm to the wr(really any of them 400, 426, 450), drz400sm should be compared to wr250x or klx250sf, factory sumo to factory sumo. wr450/426 should be compared drz400 kick start only, weight/hp about same, and the wr is reliable but when is the last time you heard anyone adjusting valves on a drz, all i do is check them. drz is cheaper, and hasn't changed, tons of parts. the real issue is do you want a DIRT BIKE to SM or a factory SM.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i had the same dilema.... it's not fair to compare the drz400sm to the wr(really any of them 400, 426, 450), drz400sm should be compared to wr250x or klx250sf, factory sumo to factory sumo. wr450/426 should be compared drz400 kick start only, weight/hp about same, and the wr is reliable but when is the last time you heard anyone adjusting valves on a drz, all i do is check them. drz is cheaper, and hasn't changed, tons of parts. the real issue is do you want a DIRT BIKE to SM or a factory SM.
that is why im comparing a 50hp drz to a stock wr........ am I missing somthing or would the two bikes have comparable power........ :headscrat

·
Registered
268 Posts
hp will be comparable, but if you are talking about the sm version, the weight difference is very apparent not only in numbers but also in feel.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
that is why im comparing a 50hp drz to a stock wr........ am I missing somthing or would the two bikes have comparable power........ :headscrat
Are you serious? There is absolutely no comparison in power and/or handling. The two are light years apart. I just changed a tube on my neighbors DRZ400. So I literally just rode a DRZ and then rode my WR450 (still getting the jetting dialed in). Not trying to hate on the DRZ, but there really is no comparing the two.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts