SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm 5'9 170 and am riding a DRZ400SM...all stock.

im looking to upgrade my DRZ400SM to either the 450 or 510, and I was just wondering what the jump in power is from the 450 to the 510.

I know that the 450 is a huge improvement over the DRZ, but whats the diff between the 450 and 510?

im not very heavy and i prefer a light nimble bike a heavy, albeit powerful one.

has anyone had a similiar experience and would you recommend the 450 over the 510 or vice versa?

Thanks.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The weight is pretty close on the two, the 510 is just a stroked 450, other than that the bikes are pretty much identical. I can't honestly say what the power difference is, but either will seem night and day compared to your DRZ. If you are racing on the track a lot of guys say the 450 is better for the real tight tracks. If it is street only or mostly street I'd say go for the 510. If you have a lead on a 450 for a deal and can't find a 510 then by all means get the 450.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I've owned a DRZ and ridden a Husky 450 a couple if times. Actually looked at purchasing a 450. The DRZ has more grunt off idle over the 450. the huskys power is in the upper rpms. The Husky isn't top heavy and feels much much lighter and is easily flickable. Brakes are Awesome! If you get the Husky contact Dave at www.fastbikeindustries.com he has some suggestions for the Marzocchi forks. Something about the fork oil needing changed. Stock fork oil isnt good,hardens,and damages seals. I haven't ridden 510,but know several owners, they all say that the bike has sick power. With the added displacement,I'm sure torque isn't an issue. If you get rid of the DRZ,be prepared for the added maintenance. The huskys are RACE bikes and need to be treated as such. Parts are difficult to find and more expensive than Suzuki.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The huskys are RACE bikes and need to be treated as such. Parts are difficult to find and more expensive than Suzuki.
Parts are not difficult to find, you just have to know how to google correctly. If you need to find parts and have a hard time just PM me (I've purchased all the parts you can possibly upgrade on the following huskies: 06 SMR450, 07 TC450, 08 TE250, 10 TXC250).

In fact, here's a good list of places to buy the commonly upgraded parts: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578273

And in terms of replacing parts due to wear and tear, just contact any husky dealer and they can order parts from the manufacturer. It is true that you can't and won't walk into your local sportbike shop for squids where they sell the big 4 and buy bling like you would a honda, but sourcing well made and far better parts for these bikes is not difficult.

And yeah, they're race bikes... you have to change the oil more often but the trade off is that you get to ride a freakin race bike. What's not to love?

Power wise, the 450 and 510 are approximately 5hp difference but realistically you're not dealing with that difference all too often. The choice of engine is more about where you like your bike to have power. The 510 has more torque and low end grunt and the 450 likes the midrange and above. Either will take your 170lb ass around corners super fast.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Buy the 450 and save yourself some coin. My bro and I both have 09' huskys. I have the 510 and he has the 450. All the 510 has over the 450 is a couple foot pounds of T/Q. But, because the 450 has a shorter stroke, it also rev's faster than the 510. So in the end, neither bike is faster than the other.

Both are killer bikes.....:arsenal

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will not be racing this bike...its just for riding around and doing urban stunts etc.

so in terms of no low end tourge, are you saying the 450 wont be able to power wheelie in 1st from a stop?

the DRZ can at least do that (barely)

how bad is the maintenance? I'm not looking to race, just ride when im home from NYC on the weekends.

maybe i should just big-bore my DRZ???

·
Registered
157 Posts
I do a power weheelie from 60 km/t on 4th with my 06 510 :) It's AWESOME :D:bannana:

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
so in terms of no low end tourge, are you saying the 450 wont be able to power wheelie in 1st from a stop?

the DRZ can at least do that (barely)/QUOTE]

Husky has NO problem lifting the front wheel!!! The Power of the Husky 450 is in the mid to upper rpm range.

500 mile oil changes and valve checks every other oil change.Not a bad compromise for the performance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I wouldn't say a valve check every other oil change - that's a bit much. A valve check every 25-50 hours depending how hard you ride it is more appropriate.

Yeah you might not be racing it but it will still be a race capable bike. In terms of wheelies the 450 will wheelie in any gear any time you want, ESPECIALLY 1st gear. You're talking about a 240lb bike with 50-55hp... it kills the DRZ everywhere: power, torque, weight, cornering, top speed, etc etc etc.

As for "urban stunts" - wtf does that mean? Gonna be riding it down stairs and doing rail grinds with it? :lol:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not rail grinds but stair sets, wall drops, etc

just general stupidity like you on a pedal bike in an urban environment

500 mile oil changes and valve checks are not an issue for me...i was thinking much more maintenance intensive like valvetrain rebuilds every 1k etc.

so i guess Husq 450 here i come!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
The Husky will make your DRZ feel like a piece of crap. Right J.R.? Wheelies are no problem and NO your drz doesn't have more bottom end grunt than the Husky. My neighbor has a Drz and I have a 450 and 510. The Drz is daily driver and good at that but thats about all it has going for it. The 450 and 510 geared the same the 510 will pull on the 450 my 510 with the 530 kit really pulls on the 450. Get what ever one you find a good deal on. Like this on

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?116021-2004-Husqvarna-450-Smr-2300

HA HA

·
Registered
372 Posts
I own both, a 07 DRZ and a 09 510. My girlfriend rides the DRZ now but I still take it out once in awhile. It really is a joke compared to the Husky. But then again it's not, it's still a great bike that's fun to ride. It all depends on the rider. There are really fast dudes that ride DRZ's. I love it because you put gas in it and ride. That's pretty much it. But the Husky is a whole different story when you get on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts