SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my drz taillight has turned into a running light. im not sure if it is stuck on or if it just the normal brightness. both the front and rear brakelight switches do not activate the brake so im thinking that it might be a fuse or something. i did replace tha bulb because it is a dual filiment but still no change in system. it is the stock taillight. whats the problem?:hmmm: i dont want to get rear ended

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well, the first thing you can check is the switch itself, get yourself a multimeter (useful tool for any toolbox, about $10-20 at Radioshack) and set it to check continuity and check the switch by the brake lever. I'm not sure if it should be open normally or closed normally but it should change when you press the lever.

After that I would do the same continuity check but at the wiring itself right before it goes into the tailight (see if the wiring is bad)

If it's none of those, it's somethign in the taillight itself, and since neither brake switches do anything I'd venture to say thats where the problem lies. Honestly though, I don't really know from there.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
+1 on checking the switch with a multimeter.

Is the lightbulb and taillight factory? If not, it may be the wrong type lightbulb in it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the taillight is factory and the bulb is identical to the one i pulled out. the bulb i pulled out had been working since i bought the bike and it just stopped getting brighter and a friend noticed when we were riding that it wasnt working. thanks for the input though. got the multimeter just havnt got to it yet today

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input i ended up finding out that the taillight was stuck on because the switch on the foot brake was not being hit by the bolt. the bold had come loose for some reason but it was not the wiring at all. just a simple overlook when i first took a tried to figure this out. thanks for the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts