SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's where I'm at.

Last fall I started noticing this metallic tapping sound. I replaced the cam chain tension with the MCCT from the TT Store. I was constantly having to adjust it in, so I knew the chain was shot.

This past week, I tore everything down, replaced the chain, and built it back up. I also replaced the valve shims when I was inside the head. The exhaust side was a little tight. The chain issue has been relieved, but I'm still hearing this loud ass metallic clacking or tapping sound.

Now I know the DRZ is supposed to be a noisy machine, but this sounds like a little much. And this time I know it isn't the cam chain, because that has a totally different sound when it's rattling.

I did replace the exhaust (was previously a hollowed/chopped RS-3), and then started noticing the sound more. The new exhaust (RS-2 w/o the insert) is MUCH quieter, so maybe I'm just not used to the noise?

Anyway, here's there vid. Tell me what you think. And thanks for reading.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So here's where I'm at.

Last fall I started noticing this metallic tapping sound. I replaced the cam chain tension with the MCCT from the TT Store. I was constantly having to adjust it in, so I knew the chain was shot.

This past week, I tore everything down, replaced the chain, and built it back up. I also replaced the valve shims when I was inside the head. The exhaust side was a little tight. The chain issue has been relieved, but I'm still hearing this loud ass metallic clacking or tapping sound.

Now I know the DRZ is supposed to be a noisy machine, but this sounds like a little much. And this time I know it isn't the cam chain, because that has a totally different sound when it's rattling.

I did replace the exhaust (was previously a hollowed/chopped RS-3), and then started noticing the sound more. The new exhaust (RS-2 w/o the insert) is MUCH quieter, so maybe I'm just not used to the noise?

Anyway, here's there vid. Tell me what you think. And thanks for reading.

Does sound a little noisy. Was the auto-decompresser intact?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where is the auto decompressor? Is that the extra thing that's mounted on the exhaust camshaft??
I was going to ask that as well. I looked over the cams when I had them out, and nothing seemed out of place or broken.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. When they idle, they sound like sewing machines..

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
What weight oil do you run? I'm going to guess 40wt. If that's the case, sounds normal. I switched to 20w 50 and it's much quieter, and the trans doesn't chew it up as quick.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was going to ask that as well. I looked over the cams when I had them out, and nothing seemed out of place or broken.
Yep that's the thing on the EX cam, there's a pin that is known to fall out and make them tap really loud, and they make the motor more noisy in general.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What weight oil do you run? I'm going to guess 40wt. If that's the case, sounds normal. I switched to 20w 50 and it's much quieter, and the trans doesn't chew it up as quick.
I actually just filled up with 2 qts of 20/50 Yamalube. I was running 15/40 before, but always felt light.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yep that's the thing on the EX cam, there's a pin that is known to fall out and make them tap really loud, and they make the motor more noisy in general.
Good to know, that was all intact(I was there) but I had no idea what it was. I didn't see anything on the engine that it looked like it did anything with. How exactly does it work? I tried looking it up on google but didn't have much luck.

Jeremy did you try checking the oil level after the bike ran for a few minutes, just to make sure it's where it needs to be?

·
Registered
525 Posts
FWIW (it's hard to evaluate a sound recorded by a camera) mine sounds pretty similar, I have just over 4k miles but haven't done the MCCT yet though, so it could just be that for me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good to know, that was all intact(I was there) but I had no idea what it was. I didn't see anything on the engine that it looked like it did anything with. How exactly does it work? I tried looking it up on google but didn't have much luck.

Jeremy did you try checking the oil level after the bike ran for a few minutes, just to make sure it's where it needs to be?
To make sure, I checked it again this morning. It's definitely got enough in there.

I guess I just have a noisy machine. :arsenal

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Get a Mechanic`s Stethoscope - cost about $10-$15
you will be amazed how good they work -

a short plastic hose held up to your ear and the other
end to the engine works ok also--

a Long screw driver --Handle to ear -metal end in contact to engine
works well too

from what I could hear on the video it sounds like loose cam chain

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get a Mechanic`s Stethoscope - cost about $10-$15
you will be amazed how good they work -

a short plastic hose held up to your ear and the other
end to the engine works ok also--

a Long screw driver --Handle to ear -metal end in contact to engine
works well too

from what I could hear on the video it sounds like loose cam chain
Not a loose cam chain. It's brand new and the MCCT is adjusted correctly. The cam chain makes a totally different sound.

I drained out the 20/50 Yamalube that I had in. Put in some 10/40 Royal Purple (I know she runs good on that), and it seemed to cut the sound a little bit.

I went out for a quick test ride. Everything seemed to be running fine... I just need to change my jets, I'm running WAY rich right now. But that's a different story.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts