SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2009 DRZ 400 SM about two weeks ago and I love it. Put 600 miles on it already and im ready to start mods. Already ordered an sdg tall seat, +1 on the front sprocket, K&N filter and fender eliminator installed. Now it is time for exhaust, tires, jet kit, 3x3... Any suggestions on exhaust and tires? I hear the MRD or Yoshi TRC. Tires Continental SM's or BT003's? Plan on doing white plastics kit wave rotor in front and bark busters eventually. Also what is a good headlight, bright but not hidious.

·
Registered
316 Posts
whats wrong with the standard light? do you really ride in pitch black conditions that justify ruining the lines of the standard bike? the standard light looks good!

pics of the bike?

im running the conti attack SM tyres on my ktm. ive only tried the conti force front and that was good so they set might be worth a try.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just bought a 2009 DRZ 400 SM about two weeks ago and I love it. Put 600 miles on it already and im ready to start mods. Already ordered an sdg tall seat, +1 on the front sprocket, K&N filter and fender eliminator installed. Now it is time for exhaust, tires, jet kit, 3x3... Any suggestions on exhaust and tires? I hear the MRD or Yoshi TRC. Tires Continental SM's or BT003's? Plan on doing white plastics kit wave rotor in front and bark busters eventually. Also what is a good headlight, bright but not hidious.
for sure the MRD, the Jamesdean(JD) jet kit.. and the conti sm are a great tire.. tons of grips.. and okay wear in the back.. great wear for a front.. and I'd go to DDMTUNING.COM ( http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-HiLo-Motorcycle-HID-Kit ) and get the 5k or 6k.. personally i think 5 looks better..
they also have life time warranty. and go with the 35watt, 55watt tend to bleed and not be as sharp as a color.. a little over powered..

·
Registered
628 Posts
email a buddy of mine [email protected] and tell him Agg sent ya. he's an HID guy, and hooks up other riders at cost. i got a lifetime warranty, bixenon bulb (H4 i believe it was) with relay for $30 shipped. slim digital ballast, and it was a cinch to install.

as for the rotor, get in touch with jeff at www.braketech.com. i just got done with my build and prior to mine, he didn't have any DRZ carriers. we did a little research, and we found out a YZ carrier matched up perfectly with the DRZ mounting hubs (on the SM... not sure about the other models). i used the braking caliper bracket, put on ferodo ST pads, fren tubo type 2 white lines (it's a white '09), and a magura 13mm radial MC with a custom 15ml cup. oh, with superblue ATE racing fluid. it's 1-finger endo ready now. :fact

as for tires, i'm in the same boat - and while i LOVED my 003rs's on the trackbike, i think they're a little soft and a bit overkill for what i'm going to be doing on the tard... i'm looking at the 023's or the pirelli angels. but i think i'll have more grip with the 'stones.

as for the exhaust... go with the MRD or the yosh rs2. i chose the latter b/c it was ~$90 cheaper, and i didn't want TOO much noise. plus, you can't run a heat shield on the MRD without an additional expense (mounting clamps for ~$10, but still). plus my stocker was kinda nasty looking. the new yoshi one is clean.

good luck man... here's some pics of what i've done. enjoy! (and good luck... it just takes time and money) :lol:

the relay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan- The stock light looks good... im not super stoked on it but it flows just want something brighter, i do like to do a little night ride out by the lake.

Mean-Machines- Well i work at a dealership and my parts guy accidently got me a Dynajet kit... any opinions? I realize no matter what brand it says most are made by dynajet with the exception of JD.

Agg- What part of texas? Yeah i like the stickiness of the 003's but i do about 25 miles of commuting a day and im scared they will wear too flat too fast and when i joy ride the curves ill have flat spots... idk... i want sticky but long lasting... aka starburst lol. Mine is black i wanna get white kit for it. Think im going with the MRD. Seem to be the overall best power and not that much more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts