SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a bike to ride street and go-kart track.
I'm looking at a 2006 ktm 625smc and a 2009 drz400sm both bikes are same price range and are in great shape. So I ask you this what bike to get. I'm going to do a lot of down town hooligan and back road twisties. I will also be going to the local kart track to have fun. Street ride every day and at the track 1 day every 2 weeks

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
625 for sure

·
Registered
11 Posts
No contest 625 for sure. I had both and really its hard to compare the two, its like comparing a Porsche911 to 350Z. Both great but one is at a higher level. The 625 is almost as reliable if not more then the DRZ. I have heard of busted up DRZ engines but not SMC however I think thats just due to higher numbers of DRZ around. Only thing I hate compared to the old DRZ is the oil changes are far more trouble now.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
If the two are similarly priced, go for the 625. You'll end up spending more money on the DRZ to get more power out of it. I would of bought a 625, but couldn't find any in my price range. I am more than content with my drz though. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I own a 2006 SMC and love it, but I have also ridden a friends DRZ.
The DRZ was fun and felt a lot lighter then the SMC.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Owned both, sold my DRZ for an SMC because the power sucked on the DRZ and i just couldnt have fun. If you buy the DRZ you'll be looking for a SMC in a year. And if you buy a DRZ for 5 grand I'll come to your house and punch you. Did you compare a DRZ to a 350z? More like a Miata or a Tercel.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
KTM :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Owned both, sold my DRZ for an SMC because the power sucked on the DRZ and i just couldnt have fun. If you buy the DRZ you'll be looking for a SMC in a year. And if you buy a DRZ for 5 grand I'll come to your house and punch you. Did you compare a DRZ to a 350z? More like a Miata or a Tercel.
:Funny:

Maybe I should mention that when I rode a buddy's DRZ it had a full Stainless MRD Exhaust, Hot Cams and a FCR 39 Carb. He likes it now.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Convert an E model or a K if you can find it. You'll have to buy wheels and tires but you'll save money because you'll already have the FCR, hotter cams, bigger exhaust, lighter weight and a set of dirt wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts