SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I haven't been riding in over a year and I'm finally getting back into it. I want to give the bike (and myself) a bit of a present by way of a little more performance.

The bike currently has:
- FCR39
- Pro Circuit T-4 (full system)
- 3x3 airbox mod
- 44 tooth rear sprocket

My question is, am I likely to gain much, if anything by installing both Hotcams? Can I also install a 1 layer base gasket to raise the compression ratio?

Am I likely to only realise the gains of the Hotcams by also adding a big bore kit at the same time?

Any opinions, especially of people who have installed the cams and big bore kit in stages, would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I would replace your existing exhaust system and get a SSW/MRD system. Anything you're going to do from here on out, your Pro Circuit is going to be a limiting factor. :headshake

http://www.mrd-racing.com

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I did not do my BB in stages, Just went from the standard upgrade to BB.

But what a difference going from 38hp to 48hp - 50hp. :D

I am still using the stock gearing.

You mainly need to look at what you are going to be doing. Putting around or riding fast.

I rode a stock DRZ with a 13 tooth front sprocket and it pulled nicely until 50 mph. What I did not like is being at 40 mph, nailing the throttle and not feeling a good pull. (plus in stock trim, you are always WFO)

So if your just riding at slower speeds you do not need the cams.

If you want to go faster and only like to use half throttle most of the time, go BB.

Form what I understand you only install cams with a BB. (But that is only what I've heard) Check thumper talk, I am sure this has been discussed over there before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I may be losing 1-2hp with the T-4 System, but I don't think I can justify spending over $500 (by the time it's shipped to Australia) for a new exhaust.

$500 will buy the BB kit and the Hotcams intake cam and I'm sure that would make more of a difference than the MRD system.

Is the general concensus to replace valves/springs with something like the Kibblewhite kit?

I don't want to spend unnecessary money, but at the same time am willing to spend what needs to be spent to do it right.

I ride through the twisties with my brother and his mates and they all have 1Ltr bikes. My bike is quick enough through the real tight stuff but I want more oomph on the straights.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Not the true expert here, but you only need to change valve and springs if you use the stage II cams and go for a 489 BB. And it also depends on how much mileage you have on your current set.

Not sure you can get cams and BB, along with an FCR carb for $500. I paid $1800 for all of that along with the MRD/SSW. It was worth it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not the true expert here, but you only need to change valve and springs if you use the stage II cams and go for a 489 BB. And it also depends on how much mileage you have on your current set.

Not sure you can get cams and BB, along with an FCR carb for $500. I paid $1800 for all of that along with the MRD/SSW. It was worth it.
I already have an FCR39 fitted and the BB kit is $350ish and around $150 for an intake cam.

The bike has travelled around 6000 miles, I can't remember as I haven't ridden it in so long and the battery is flat :headscrat

Some say the one piece valves are "cheap insurance" against failure. should I be replacing the valves/springs on a bike with this many miles if I only intend on going 434cc and not stroking it?

Can anyone else comment on the exhaust cam being a waste unless I stroke it? Thanks again, I appreciated the advice.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
You should be OK with only 6k miles.

Are you changing the exhaust cam as well?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
If you are gonna keep the rest of the motor stock, switch to the E-model cams. They can be had for around $100 and are a huge improvement over the stock cams.:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts