SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on buying a sm bike in the Spring. 80% of my riding is in the mountains.
I am looking at 690smc which is about $10K otd.
What is the total cost of the performance mods that I can do to a 400sm?
From what I read it would be a full exhaust system, new carb, bore etc
what should I expect to spend to add as much hp to a 400 without compromising reliability or shortening maintenance intervals too much?
Is it worth it moneywise to modify the drz compared to just buying 690sm?
I'm assuming I'd spend abour $4k on a bike alone.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
A DRZ with the standard mods(pipe, carb, big bore , 3x3) will not make 690 type power. It will be a fun bike to ride with a lot less maintainence then a KTM and better reliability. But if you want big power, buy a big motor. They are two different style bikes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I spent about $750 on my pipe, cams, and jet kit. I also removed 2 layers from the base and head gaskets to up the compression. That only cost ~$40 for new gaskets. Pretty nice increase in hp but I'm not sure how long a DRZ will last at 13:1.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don't forget that the KTM has a 6 speed tranmission, fuel injection, and a slipper clutch. Its like apples and oranges comparing them directly. I still like my DR-Z but if I had the money, I would have gone for the KTM.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can mod your DRZ to beat the new KTM (Big Bore Kit, RHC Cams, Porting, Over sized Valves, 41mm FCR Carb, plus the regular mods: exhaust, airbox, etc.) But by then end of it you'll lose the reliability. Performance has to come somewhere...just buy the KTM or a Gixxer...:bike:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts