SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the E model rear caliper and bracket work with the SM swingarm? The pictures of the SM caliper and E caliper in the online parts fiche look different.

I have an E model with the E swingarm, but am using KTM SM wheels and the rear is a 5 inch. To run the proper size tire on the 5 inch wheel I'm going to be switching to a SM swingarm and would like to know if I can get away with using the stock E caliper and the stock E rotor size of 220mm. Otherwise I will need to get a SM rear caliper and find a KTM rotor that matches the SM rear rotor size (240mm or 250mm??)

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Why are you swapping to the SM swingarm? Does the 5" fit well in the E swingarm? Your pics that you posted in the tire fitment thread look like theres clearance between the tire and swingarm, and still enough once you swap to a 160 tire...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 150/60/17 mounted on the 5 inch rim and that combo fits on the E swing arm... but I'm going to run a 160/60/17 and not sure if it will fit....

That and my E swing arm needs replaced anyways so I had already ordered a SM swinger from ebay and it's in transit.

But... now with the SM swing arm I need a 240mm KTM rotor and that is proving to be difficult. Most likely I'm going to buy another E swing arm and sell the SM one I have inbound. If I can't fit a 160 tire in the E swing arm I will just run a 150....

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
seems to be an urban myth around here that the SM swingarm is wider. not true. only difference is the axle block/adjuster.

the SM/S/E wheels all use the same hub and wheels spacers. so how could the SM swinger be wider?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't mean wider where the axle is, I knew that should be the same since the wheels are interchangable. I thought the SM swingarm was wider the closer you get to the shock to give room for the larger SM tire sizes compared to the room needed for a dirt tire....

·
Registered
140 Posts
I didn't mean wider where the axle is, I knew that should be the same since the wheels are interchangable. I thought the SM swingarm was wider the closer you get to the shock to give room for the larger SM tire sizes compared to the room needed for a dirt tire....
Whan you get your SM swinger, can you post some info on the differences between that and the e model swinger?

I am rolling on a newly street legalized e model, and I'm collecting parts for my sm conversion, so any info you can share will be a big help. Right now I am planning on running the e swinger and possibly swapping to the sm front end. If there is a good reason to switch to the sm swinger, I may do it at some point. I just can't seem to tell much difference between the two, except for the chain adjustment...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
there's also a thread on thumpertalk about the difference between the swingarms. Eddie Sineros had done the comparison - only difference is the axle block.

I wouldn't doubt that they could be different by a few mm due to manf. tolerances, but not enough to make a significant difference. The E model swinger is fairly wide to begin with. it'll take a 140 knobby without issue, and those things are effing wide, not to mention quite a bit taller than a 17.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts