SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! New to all this! I’m currently building my 2010 drz400e to SM. I’m getting a 2011 Drz400Sm front forks set & 2011 Drz400sm rear swing arm then it’s actually a drz400sm they’ll be a straight bolt on job? Would it not? And can I use my triple trees or would I have to get Drz400sm ones and if I buy motards would the wheels for the 400e fit the 400sm? Or are they different sizes ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
To run those SM forks you'll need the SM triples as well, one benefit to this is the SM triples have lower offset which correlates to better handling. I believe 04 RM250 forks will fit in the 400E Triples though.

Also you should note the DRZ400SM forks and rear shock are lowered for better geometry so SM front end with E rear shock may have some strange geometry (think stink bug). You should check salvage websites for a DRZ400SM for cheap and just switch over all the suspension and wheels etc. Thumpertalk will most likely have the best answers so go check there!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To run those SM forks you'll need the SM triples as well, one benefit to this is the SM triples have lower offset which correlates to better handling. I believe 04 RM250 forks will fit in the 400E Triples though.

Also you should note the DRZ400SM forks and rear shock are lowered for better geometry so SM front end with E rear shock may have some strange geometry (think stink bug). You should check salvage websites for a DRZ400SM for cheap and just switch over all the suspension and wheels etc. Thumpertalk will most likely have the best answers so go check there!
I live in Australia tho! I decided to sell the 400e for a 400sm 2021 model going to put a deposit on it today!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
buy used! the 2021 model is the same as the 2005 model, no need to throw away money on a new bike!
a 05 costs $5,500
I can get a 2014 stock Sm for $3800 aud with 54,000kms (33,000 miles
Or a 2014 with 25,000kms so probably about 9000 miles or so with yoshi exhaust some registration.
mans a few other bits and bobs

·
Registered
31 Posts
lol buy used and you'll have plenty to add all the Farkles you want! 10-15k miles is no biggie for the DRZ, 30k is high but if the valves are in spec and its not leaking or burning any oil it should be fine. In case you didnt know the SM has de-tuned cams and lower compression from a 3 layer base gasket vs 1 layer when compared to a 400E, just no need to to pay 11k for a bike that hasn't changed in 20 years 🤣.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol buy used and you'll have plenty to add all the Farkles you want! 10-15k miles is no biggie for the DRZ, 30k is high but if the valves are in spec and its not leaking or burning any oil it should be fine. In case you didnt know the SM has de-tuned cams and lower compression from a 3 layer base gasket vs 1 layer when compared to a 400E, just no need to to pay 11k for a bike that hasn't changed in 20 years 🤣.
The one with 33k miles is on a showroom floor at a dealer so it wouldn’t be burning oil I just made a call and they’re going to check the values for me now! For 3800 aud it’s pretty cheap

·
Registered
31 Posts
The one with 33k miles is on a showroom floor at a dealer so it wouldn’t be burning oil I just made a call and they’re going to check the values for me now! For 3800 aud it’s pretty cheap
This just gonna be an around the the town bike or are you planning on racing too?

·
Registered
31 Posts
But yet a brand new one it’s all fresh has not been anal probed or done any wheelies or anything
Hey by all means buy a brand new one if thats your jam, i just dont understand why people would pay that much for one...at that price you could afford a 701/690 or even a brand new FS450 or 450SMR. All i am saying is that 2021 DRZ400SM is just about exactly the same in every way as a 2005 and in between, but if you want to spend that for a turd be my guest.

for reference i also ride a turd:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey by all means buy a brand new one if thats your jam, i just dont understand why people would pay that much for one...at that price you could afford a 701/690 or even a brand new FS450 or 450SMR. All i am saying is that 2021 DRZ400SM is just about exactly the same in every way as a 2005 and in between, but if you want to spend that for a turd be my guest.

for reference i also ride a turd: View attachment 155963
Is that with that rmz shroud?? A fs450 is illegal to ride on the road wanna sell your turd

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

for reference i also ride a turd: View attachment 155963
Do you got WhatsApp?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts