SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just bought my first bike, a 2004 drz400e real nice and clean. Guy says he put less than 200 miles on it. I purchased to make it street legal to go to and from work. What i didnt know was even if i made all the necessary street legal mods for my state just because the title says "for off-highway use only" , and "not for highway use" i wouldnt be able to convert it. Is this true? is their any getting around it? Ive read similar stuff but never fully answered it. I heard about some South Dakota loop hole... Help PLEASE!!!
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice bike, good luck, out there in cali E models go for very cheap, cause its impossible to make them street legal now, your state may be different, some are easier then others, maybe call your local DMV and see what they say.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I live in TN and they would not do it at least that is what they told me on the phone. So I just took mine in there I was in the same boat with my 04 husky te 450 said off road use only blah blah blah. One day I just went in asked to transfer title to my name and they just gave me plates no problem with it. Just give it a try most of the people there do not give a damn honestly.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Could buy a titled drz 400s frame

·
Registered
188 Posts
Two words... South Dakota. It works and i just did it last week with my crf450r, for the 4th time, on a bike with an offroad only title.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure if you are the one that sent me the message on sc supermoto Facebook page or not but this is what I did with my cr that had a off road use only title. I went down to the dmv and ask to get the title in my name. I told them I wanted it for street use. They literally said ok. They then asked me if I want to pay twenty extra dollars to get the title now. I said no, because I am a tight a.. Like that and I have a lot left to do before it is road worthy. Two weeks went by my title came in the mail and it did not have offroad only on it. I then went down to the tax office to pay taxes on it. Luck for me I had just payed taxes on my last sm before selling it so I owed nothing. So I then went down to the dmv again to reclaim my old tag. Bam...tagged cr125

·
Registered
2 Posts
I converted a DRZ400E in Missouri a few years ago and got it licensed without any problems. Each state is different though. I used a Baja Design Kit and added a vintage Suzuki speedometer that I found at a motorcycle junkyard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts