SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys so i got a 07 drz-s and its geared 15-44, stock is geared 15-45 (remember im on dirt wheels) anyway, i have a full yosh exhaust and a 39mm fcr from the TT store. THIS THING WILL NOT CRUISE ON THE FREEWAY. seriously im winding out while in the slow lane! is this bad or is it just gearing?

·
Registered
154 Posts
hmm something isnt right...I got a 09 with SM wheels and I can cruise around 80ish with some more left all day..stock gearing

Your geared higher too so you should be able to cuise higher than that...

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
sounds like just the gearing to me... so long as you stay on top of maintenance there is no harm to the bike really. i rode my 08 drzsm with a 15/47 for over 10k miles on a daily highway commute (bike topped out at about 84mph, i was cruising 75mph on 30 mile each way commute)... aside from the annoyance of the bike screaming there were no ill effects (bike has 26k miles on it now). i just learned to ignore it and turn my music up:D

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
actually i guess the best question before making any judgments would be... exactly what speeds are you "winding out" at? and by winding out do you mean TOPPED out? or just revving high? orrrr?... DETAILS DETAILS

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well its a s model witha sm speed chuck so the speed is way off :rolleyes:
and although its not at the rev limiter, it is winding out. like you said, i guess ill just learn to live with it, or slap on a 41 t sprocket

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
hmm something isnt right...I got a 09 with SM wheels and I can cruise around 80ish with some more left all day..stock gearing

Your geared higher too so you should be able to cuise higher than that...
I thought stock SM gearing was 15-41?

·
Registered
434 Posts
it's a sub 40 bhp bike........ what do you expect? I run stock SM gearing with a 42mm FCR, with pod filter & full Yosh system. out of mechanical sympathy I stay below 80 on the highway.

the DRZ is for tight twisty roads (or off road) NOT long straight drones at 80 mph+

you can play with gearing but bottom line is unless you go with a big bore, hot cam, & smaller wheels you don't have a highway / touring bike.

the engine sound / speed does sound odd too if you're coming off like a inline 4 cyl. sportbike. gotta remember that there is only 1 lonely piston being slung around in there

·
Registered
142 Posts
Put a 16t CS sprocket on and you can run the freeway till your butt falls off!:lol:

·
Registered
261 Posts
How fast is your "highway"?

It'll feel like its revving pretty high but it should pull close to 90 if not more. In SM trim I have 14-44 and I can get it close to 90 mph. When I'm in dirt trim I have 14-44 gearing and can get about the same speed...

I'm not sure what kinda highway you are on where the slow lane is running at close to 90 mph... if you are really revving out... just saying :)

PS: 15/44 is the stock gearing for a S

1 - 11 of 11 Posts