SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought my bike used 3 months ago and the kid before me did the 3x3 and its more like a 3x4. is this bad and could this be making my bike stall out sometime at a red light? also is the yoshi rs2 pipe a good full system to get? is it louder than stock? thanks

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
That's fine. A hole is a hole. All you're doing is opening up the airbox. Any pipe is better than stock, RS2 especially. Yes it's louder than stock.

The DRZ400 section over @ Thumpertalk will answer tons of questions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. what websites can i order the yoshi pipe from and is it worth getting a bigger carb? i was thinking about getting a 1/4 turn twist throttle instead of the stock one.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
thanks. what websites can i order the yoshi pipe from and is it worth getting a bigger carb? i was thinking about getting a 1/4 turn twist throttle instead of the stock one.
Just do a Google shopping search, tons of places sell the Yosh exhausts. The FCR carb makes a very noticeable difference, not huge, but noticeable. Throw in a set of cams to take advantage of the added mid and up pull of the FCR over the stocker, and it's a HUGE difference. The stock carb signs off somewhere around 7,000RPM on a dyno. With the FCR, cams, and a good pipe they'll pull hard all the way to the 10,500 limiter.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
That's fine. A hole is a hole. All you're doing is opening up the airbox. Any pipe is better than stock, RS2 especially. Yes it's louder than stock.

The DRZ400 section over @ Thumpertalk will answer tons of questions.
A hole is a hole is only applicable to women...or is it a whore, is a whore..:headscrat

Anyways..

Not according to Eddie. The size of the hole will effect the jets that need to be used. The 3 x 3 hole question has been asked over and over again. The answer was always the same 3" x 3" means 3". No more no less. It is not just opening up the air box, this is fine tuning the bike to the recommended jet setting from JD. Check out Thumper Talk under the DRZ thread.

By having a bigger hole, you are letting in more air, which will cause a lean mixture. You might try simply turning up your idle a bit to see if that helps. If you have opened up the fuel screw, try turning it out 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

As for the exhaust, go for the MRD, if you are not concerned about being loud. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is an mrd exhaust louder than the yoshi rs2? i want loud but when i'm barely on the gas can i pass a cop without getting pulled over? haha

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh ya i turned up my idle screw a little bit more and so far no problems. ya i know 3x3 means 3". was the kid before me. why if it kept stalling every once and a while from an idle at a red light i was going to buy a new air box and re cut it out the right size.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
MRD at low idle is still louder then the Yoshi.

As for the cops, just depends on your local laws. It is not as loud as a Harley running straight pipes. You will definitely not be able to sneak up on anyone. :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you pop the side cover and use duct tape, piece on inside stuck to a piece on the outside of the airbox hole, to make the opening 3x3 again then your jetting situation will improve. Go over to thumpertalk, DRZ400 and jetting forum, search there and you will find more info than you can read in a week on just this subject.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts