SuperMoto Junkie banner

DRZ400 or FMX650?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How's it going Junkies - been a while since I last visited after showing you my mini Sumo :D, hope everyone's good.

2 years down the line the WR125X was a fantastic bike to start on, and, being in the UK, I'm legally allowed to ride a machine with more than 33bhp (roughly two months left :thumbup:). Being 19 and currently at Uni, the only cash I've got for my next bike will come from the proceeds of selling the WRX, which should fetch around £2k ($3200). What that effectively limits me to is what most of you would call a gutless street sumo - but that's cool, I'm keen on progressing through bikes - I wouldn't jump on a thorough-bred 600 even if I had the cash, kinda want to do it the way my folks did it before me, to an extent.

So the two options: the DRZ and the FMX.

I'd never heard about the FMX until my old man mentioned a fella at work who has one (with a pair of absolutely phenomenal sounding Leo Vince cans on), and is looking to sell it at a really good price.

As far as I know, they're similar on the figures - I think they both pull just under forty ponies with the DRZ pulling high 20sftlb, the FMX pulling high 30s. The main difference is the weight, where the FMX manages to distinguish itself as a comparably overweight specimen at 160kg compared to the Dizzer's 130kg.

So does anyone have any riding experience on the FMX? I know most of you lads love your DRZs, but what about the underdog? The statistics (and excessive amounts of youtube vids :)) are all I have to go on at the moment, and most places round near me aren't keen to sort out test rides from a lad my age. So, I thought I'd turn to the veterans and hear what you've got to say, if possible.

Just... please don't mention the Bergs, Huskies, KTMs and Aprilias - they're not an option for me at the moment, but something that'll I'll undoubtedly be looking toward in the future. Apart from that, the XT660X is a seeming contender, but I prefer the styling of the slimmer DRZ/FMX to the chunk of the XT.

Cheers for the read, and for feedback.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Go for the drz, theres plenty around and they are a much more playful bike, the fmx would seem lazy and tame, but the drz would have more of a fun factor, and theres loads of info how to get better power for not alot of money :bannana:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looking pretty one-sided this... :lol:, the poll just about says it all!

Has anyone actually owned or ridden an FMX though? I get the feeling that a lot of the disinterest in the Honda stems from the 650 capacity and the 250/400 output. Admittedly it's also heavier than the average, but does it really have nothing on the DRZ? A couple of vids I've seen have shown fun to be had, and the aftermarket exhaust notes are epic! :hmmm:

Maybe it was a mistake to compare the two, :rolleyes:.

Cheers for the input George :D.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Folks stateside don't know what an FMX is...... Over here,FMX stands for Free Style Motocross. Give us a little info on what FmX is and maybe we can help.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm pretty sure the FMX is just a factory supermoto version of the xr650l. So air cooled 650cc thumper with updated bodywork and 17" wheels and tires. I say go for whatever one you like the most (looks, sound, ride, whatever) and or whatever one is the cheapest/best deal.
I would say the FMX is easier to own (less maint.) easier to work on (low tech).But the DRZ will be lighter, easier to toss around in the corners, and have a potential for more power with the liquid cooled mill.
Plus after riding a 125 that FMX will feel like you are riding a whale.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plus after riding a 125 that FMX will feel like you are riding a whale.
One of the worries at the forefront of my mind really Quirk, having not had road experience on any other bike the figures don't actually mean anything to me - it's all well and good looking at it on paper but until I can get a test ride I have no idea about the feel of 30 extra kilos (60-70lbs).

Think the advice is sound though, thanks for the input dude :).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts