SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi dudes,

Like to ask if anyone here used a 160 rear tyre on a drz with cush drive.
Does it cause any chain rub? thanks

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Stick with a 150, the 160 on the 4.5" rim does odd things to the profile of the tire, and a lot of them will rub the chain as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi dudes,

Like to ask if anyone here used a 160 rear tyre on a drz with cush drive.
Does it cause any chain rub? thanks
I've got a 160 michelin pilot pure on mine, had the stock 140 on before that. Bike still changes direction very quickly but feels more stable mid corner now. Chain clearance is not an issue and it def looks better... go for it!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a 160 michelin pilot pure on mine, had the stock 140 on before that. Bike still changes direction very quickly but feels more stable mid corner now. Chain clearance is not an issue and it def looks better... go for it!!!
Wat worries is having pple telling me drz wif cush drive has got problem wif chain clearance if 160 is to be used.Shall scout for that tyre if chain clearance is definitely not an issue.
Thanks for the advise..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wat worries is having pple telling me drz wif cush drive has got problem wif chain clearance if 160 is to be used.Shall scout for that tyre if chain clearance is definitely not an issue.
Thanks for the advise..
I know what you mean I was told the same thing until I saw a thread somewhere with pictures of DRZ's with 160 rear tyres. There was at about an inch of clearance either side & I figured photo's don't lie. Even the mechanic changing my tyre said he didn't think it would work and would charge me double the labour if it didn't... Thankfully it was perfect. Just be aware some tyre's have a flatter and some have a rounder carcass this may also affect the fit (i did see one DRZ with bridgestone's that had chain rub). But if you stick to Michelin it's guaranteed to work.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
ive used a 2 different 160s on the dizzer... one was the avon pro extreme rain, the other was a pilot power.. never had clearance problems, i just hated the profile and how they turn in.. 150s turn in so much nicer smoother and easier on the drzs lil wheel.... but thats just a personal preference thing, everybody is going to have different opinions...

some people just like the way the fatter tire looks (and of course better looks always mean it performs better right :nutkick: )

·
Registered
102 Posts
It depends on the tire. Most 160 tires have chain rub issue. Most people run a 150 and dont look back. there is no reason to go to a 160 unless you think it looks cool or some such thing.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
A 160 tire on a 4.5" rim has to be what is known as "pinched" to be mounted. What this means, is that the sidewalls have to be pushed in from the tires normal shape when being mounted up. The side effect of this is, where you normally have a normal profile right up to the edge with a 150, the 160 ends up with a very steep roll off on the edges. If you live somewhere flat, and want the "fat" look, go for it. If you actually ride the bike in the twisties as it was meant for, it can get you into trouble by causing the rear to come out from under you. The KTM 690smc for example, comes with a 160 rear, but on a 5" rim.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
i ran a 160 maxxis no issues even a 165 mich, minor rub and it worked great, just my experiance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys thanks so much for all the feedbacks. Well I'm mostly running on flat grounds. Probably I sld try the 160. I'm currently running pirelli 150. Find tat it look rather undersize

1 - 10 of 10 Posts