SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into supermoto wheels sets.. 4.25 is the common rear rim. I see many racers using 5.0. I am just wondering What rear wheel sizes have been used on the DRZ? Successfully without major modifications / rubbing etc..

what rim gives the best tire selection?

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can run a 5 on the DRZ because the swingarm is huge. You get the wheels built with the proper offset so the chain clears the tires.

The stock rear on a DRZ-SM model is a 4.5 Excel.... They would be hard to get aftermarket but you can order a DRZ-SM rear OEM.....

I am running BEHR rims with a 4.5 rear. Its a good setup IMO. Lets you run a 150 or 160 rear with no issues. Good in-between size.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 4.25 on my 01' SM. With a 160 MT-60 I had about 1/4" clearance on each side. Have a 150 Sportec now and have plenty of room.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a difference in width between the dirt models swing arm and the SM swing arm? I thought I read that the SM is using the RMZ swing arm?

·
Registered
158 Posts
matt_o_70 said:
Is there a difference in width between the dirt models swing arm and the SM swing arm? I thought I read that the SM is using the RMZ swing arm?
Yes the swingarm is slightly different between a DRZ and DRZ-SM. The SM has an RM style profile and chain adjusters.

The swingarm is specific to the DRZ-SM however because a DRZ hub is wider than RM hubs so the swingarm is gonna be slightly wider than an RM swingarm at the wheel.

Both models will provide plenty of room.

·
Registered
206 Posts
you can run a 160 on a stock DRZ-SM without modifying anything??? is anyone 100% sure on this?

·
Registered
172 Posts
ronnie simpson said:
you can run a 160 on a stock DRZ-SM without modifying anything??? is anyone 100% sure on this?
Yes, there are several members here and on ThumperTalk who are doing so.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ronnie simpson said:
I'm using maxxis 160/60 fer my drz-sm & there's still a lot of clearance :thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm too trying to decide what size rear rim 4.25 4.50 or 5.00. I have a 5.00 streetbike with a 160 and there's no way it could fit by taking rough measurements, it seems the tire width is 6 inches. I also have another bike with a 4.00 rim with 150 size tire and its about 5 inches wide and looks like a good fit. This leads me to think a 4.25 or 4.50 would be the only logical sizes. Anyone?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Like I said before if you want you can fit a 5" rear on the DRZ.... Its been done on a DRZ before. A 160 tire the width is 160mm = 6.3 inches. I have run 160s on my rear.

I prefer the 4.25 or 4.5 myself. They can both run a 160 and who wants to run anything bigger anyways?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts